We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
35 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

We stayed at Carlyle, but spent alot of time at Royal and Montego Bay if anyone has questions, I will try my best to answer them. We also took a day trip to Negril and the Dunn's River Falls. Ask away.....

Youngsville, NC
Level Contributor
113 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

Is the pizza oven ready yet at SMB? Know they just added a new beach bar that looks nice - they were working on it in February...

Edited: 9:03 am, July 24, 2011
Monroe, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
83 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

What are your thoughts on SMB? Any do's or dont's?

Riverton, Utah
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

We are staying at the SRC but want to know out of the 3 local Sandals what are the MUST go to restaurants? There are a lot of options but we will be there 6 nights and want to try the best ones. Also, is it even possible to make reservations for restaurants before leaving on vacation?

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
35 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

You can't make reservations before you get there, but I would do it as SOON as you get there. they fill up fast.

we ate at these that had reservations : Tokyo Joe's, Carlyle, Cucino Romana

My Husbands favorite was Cucino Romana, he got the new york strip and said he was totally delicious.

I'm not sure I had a favorite from those, they were all good. It kind of depends on what kind of food you like. I'm not really into fancy food. You can look at the menu online to get an idea of what they serve.

My favorite non reservation dinner, was the Bayside at Carlyle, yummy pasta. But really ALL the food was good. They opened up a pizza oven the day we left, so we didn't get the chance to try it. :(

The fries were so YUMMY at the grills, we couldn't seem to get enough. I told my hubby I think they put crack on them. They are so addicting. :)

Where ever you decide to eat will be romantic and good. I took pictures of alot of the food we ate. You can email me if you want to see pictures of the dishes.

Most of all, have a great time!!!!

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
35 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

The pizza oven opened on Thursday, the day we left. So we didn't get the chance to try it. Was so sad about that.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
35 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

Do bring a watch or something to tell time. There are no clocks and when we would ask for the time, we were told we were on vacation. Eventually, they did give us the time, but it was annoying. You need to know the time in order to catch shuttles, join activites, eat, etc.....

Don't be afraid to take the shuttle to the other hotels, it's easy to use and runs every hour.

The only thing to do at the Carlyle Inn, is to eat at the french resturant, and you can walk to the hip strip from there. The hip strip has Margarittaville, Pork PIt, and lots of shopping. (Pork Pit, was very good food, also listed in the 1,000 things to see before you die)

We really enjoyed the private Island at Royal, very quite. 1/2 is clothing optional though.

The shows were a little disapointing to me. I liked the steel band, and the cultural dancing. There was alot of cabaret, which was just singing. We're not really the party and dance type though.

They have different games and activites through out the day that are fun, you get prizes and points that will get you stuff. We did a scavenger hunt, treasure hunt, love bracelets, couples game, and a bunch of other activites.

Have a great time and no worries mon. :P

Monroe, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
83 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

Which of the three Sandals did you enjoy more? How far is the Pork Pit if you walk from the Carlyle?

Monroe, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
83 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

I have another question..... when you visit the other resorts do they have a locker or something for your purse, camera or personal stuff or.....do you not take any of that? And... you eat, drink for no charge at the other sandals too don't you?

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
35 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

Pork pit was about 15 min walk. well worth it for the yummy food. It's popular with many locals too, so it's not just a tourist trap. :)

They didn't have a locker or anything at the other hotels, You don't need a wallet and we just left our stuff in a backpack on the beach chairs and never had a problem. If you don't feel good with that, the front desk will hold your items for you. We did that when we went snorkeling.

You eat and drink free at ALL sandals. We went on tours and ate at the Sandals in Negril and Ocho Rios. You just have to pay for transportation to those ones.

There were also no showers at the other resorts to use, so we would go back to our hotel and shower and change for dinner and then take the next shuttle to the other resorts.

We didn't eat dinner at Royal, we loved the private island because it was so quite and a little more secluded. But it seemed that we mostly ate at Montego Bay. Not sure why, it just kind of worked out that way.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Sandals, have any questions?

Actually, the resorts all have spas, and you should be able to use the locker room/shower facilities. We have done this, and were able to leave our things locked in one of their lockers.

Just to clarify under #4 above, the Bayside is not at the Carlyle; it is at SMB. And the new pizza oven is also at SMB. The poolside restaurant at the Carlyle is called The Baywindow. The reservation-required restaurant there is called The Carlyle, and is very good.

The French restaurant at SRC, Le Jardiniere, is EXCELLENT!!! This is also a reservation-only restaurant; however, if by chance you can't get a reservation, stop by there at dinnertime and you may be lucky enough to be seated.

We also enjoy both Cucina and Oleander at SMB - and I think they both require reservations, but not positive.