We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

nh
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

Hi all

Will be staying at the Grand Palladium in Feb with family (kids 11 &12). I'm looking to do one falls excursion and can't decide which one.

I'm looking at a private tour to Dunns or Reggae Tours to YS Falls with a at Pelican Bar.

How long of a drive is it to each? If someone has done both, which did you prefer and why?

Thanks for your help.

Amstar DMC Tours & Transfers Jamaica
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
VIP Private Day Tours
River Rafting & Tubing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
SNL Jamaican Tours
Sightseeing Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Fishing Charters & Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

The drive time is almost identical. Going to Dunn's you travel back through MoBay and along the coast. To go to YS you travel through the beautiful country. Dunn's you climb the falls in a guided group and it is very touristy. YS is not as touristy but you ride a tractor pulled cart through a farm to the base area then walk up a path alongside the falls where you have opportunities to go into the pools of water at different levels and use a rope swing. There is also a zipline. Pelican Bar is a unique experience where you will likely see wild dolphins.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

I've done both and they are completely different experiences. The falls are more spectacular looking at Dunns but as mentioned are more touristy. You can climb them yourself or get a private guide, you don't have to do the big human chain thing.

YS falls IMHO offers a better overall experience. You will get to see a beautiful part of the country a little more off the beaten path, and Pelican bar is unique. Since drive time is a wash, I would vote for YS.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

I have just returned from jamaica and spent my last day at Dunns River Falls. I can honestly say it was one of my best experiences. We went on a tour through first choice called Cool Runnings and had so much fun it cost us 120 US$ and was worth every single penny. It combined a snorkelling trip and catamaran ride to the falls, covered all entry fees and we had a choice of climb - either the fall or a dry walk alongside the fall. There's a free bar on the boat and some music on the way back from Dunns rivers. If your worried about your children climbing the fall dont worry as its not slippery and aqua shoes have very good grip of the rock. We looked at YS falls and decided we wanted a bit more adventure and im sure we made the right choice. I would reccommend this to alll my friends and family.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

Where was this tour starting from?

Lexington...
Level Contributor
230 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

We have done both. And we took Reggae Tours to YS Falls and Pelican Bar. I would vote for YS Falls and Pelican Bar hands down!!!!! A much better experience. Not touristy. Reggae Tours is fabulous. Dunns River Falls is prettyt, but felt very touristy. I would NOT repeat it for anything! YS Falls is very beautiful and more personal. Pelican Bar is unique.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

been to both falls - they are completely different experiences but I agree with the others that YS and Pelican bar would be the better tour for your family. At YS they also offer a zipline ($30 pp) and a free rope swing.

Ohio
Level Contributor
579 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

I'd go with YS falls too...plus a visit to Pelican bar it would be a great experience. Dunns river is too touristy.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

While I haven't been to Dunn's Falls, I have been to YS and then to Pelican Bar and it was the highlight of my last trip. Matter of fact, I am choosing to go back on my next trip come November..I know, I know, I should check out Dunn's someday or go to Mayfield Falls..maybe some other time..I just want to go back and swim at YS! :)

nh
Level Contributor
128 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm leaning more towards YS falls for all the reasons mentioned above.

Now to choose a tour guide! Both Reggae Tours and Your Jamaican Tour Guide leave from the Grand Palladium and they both have good reviews. The second one seems to be about $100 less so that may be a deciding factor.

Anyone have any opinions about a tour guide for YS falls/Pelican Bar? Safety is my number one concern.

Thanks

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: YS Falls vs Dunns River Falls

The first one has a decent reputation. I've never heard of the second one. $100 cheaper sounds a little odd IMHO. Maybe one of the two does not have the information correct. Prices are usually quite similar.