We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

very confused, please help

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
3 posts
Save Topic
very confused, please help

Originally my fiance and I were to travel to Sandals St. Lucia and stay at the Halcyon. I decided that I wanted to change hotels to only find out that American Airlines is no longer flying to St. Lucia which drastically changed our cost of the Honeymoon. Now, we are looking to possibly travel to Jamaica and either stay at Sandlas Negril or Sandals Whitehouse. We are having a difficult time choosing between either one and are looking for some advice b/w the 2. I know that WH is further away from all the other resorts and have heard that it is not free anymore to travel b/w the other resorts that would be a little closer to each other. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
766 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: very confused, please help

Have you ever considered the Grand Lido Negril? I honeymooned there in September and it was awesome! Our room was great, a suite with jacuzzi tub looking out at the ocean. The 24 hour room service was a great plus too. We ordered up champagne every night! It's probably around the same price range as Sandals. We booked it on skyauction.com.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: very confused, please help

Hi Beachgirl,

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Ocho and Sandals Dunn River Falls. Both were very nice. They have done a multi million renovation to the one in Ocho and our friends have gone there, they say it's awesome. I've seen pictures and it looks beautiful. We have also stayed at Grand Lido Bracco and found it to be very stuffy. Men in suits and women in fancy evening dresses. Mostly lawyers and doctors. Good luck in finding just the right resort for you.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: very confused, please help

One more thing...... they have a shuttle that runs back and forth between the 2 resorts, big plus :)

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: very confused, please help

Greetings beachgirl,

I completely agree with Shellfish's suggestion. My wife and I also honeymooned at Grand Lido Negril and it is superior to all other adult only a/i options in Jamaica in almost every way. ESPECIALLY the dining.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: very confused, please help

Not sure where the information came from about American no longer flying to St.Lucia?? We just returned this weekend on AA, from St.Lucia and have many friends traveling there over the next 6 months through American??

We have stayed at Sandals Negril, and Sandals Dunns River.. (Along with Beaches Negril, Sandals Antigua, Sandals Bahamas, and Sandals Grande St.Lucia. Although our favorite is the Grande our favorite in Jamaica so far is Dunns River, but Negril was pretty nice too. We liked Dunns River because of the activities and layout of the resort.

I haven't been to the Whitehouse as of yet, so I can only speculate that they may not have as many tours or local vendors where the area is not very inhabited..??

Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
589 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: very confused, please help

HI beachgirl--

While in Negril this past November, our driver back to the airport said that the Grand Lido Negril is the best resort on the island, and he normally chauffeurs the rich and famous, and said that many of them choose to stay there. If Sandals is in your budget, I agree with the other posters--do your homework and find out how many people absolutely love the Grand Lido. Plus Negril is just fabulous!! I spent the first night of my honeymoon in a subaru behind a dumpster in Woods Hole, Mass.(long, funny story) and still had a wonderful time--so try to remember, it's mostly about the company! Have a wonderful honeymoon and marriage!

Watertown, CT
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: very confused, please help

If your into the beach , I would skip the Halcyon, it was small and the sand is brownish. I was there twice and the water was never that clear until you got away frome the shore. The people and food were great and it was nice visiting the other sandals close by. Negril has a great beach and view of the sunset. Dunns river has a great layout and pool location. I'm giving the Whitehouse a try in May.

Good luck

Monmouth Beach, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: very confused, please help

beachgirl- been to both Sandals negril and grand lido negril. If you are into a laid back relaxing I/A you cant go wrong with either.... The average age of the clients for Grand Lido is a lil older the Sandals....

Grand Lido seems to have a few finer touches

such as padded chaise lounges and a lil more sophisticated feel......

been to sandals 6 times and going back to grand lido for a second time this march...

either resort and you will have a blast...

Portland
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: very confused, please help

We stayed at Sandals Whitehouse last March. The resort was just being finished, but it was fabulous. It is a longer bus ride from the airport, and there are not a lot of things around the resort. Who cares? We did not want to leave the resort once. The food, drinks, pools, and the rooms were great. Hope you have a great time wherever you go.