We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American $ or Jamaican Plz help!!!!

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Topic
American $ or Jamaican Plz help!!!!

Hiya ok me and hubby have no idea what to change our money into for spending money, we wanna do some excursions but also wanna spend a lot of time in Mobay just wandering round the shops and bars etc

Do we change our money from £ to US$ or Jamaican $ we really have no idea, as some reviews say best to take American some say Jamaican or do we do a bit of both and if so half half or a higher % of one or the other??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Thanks loads in advance

England
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: American $ or Jamaican Plz help!!!!

Thanks all for ya replies must admit still a little confused think we will take majority in Jamaican and just a bit in American.

Can we pay for excursions in Jamaican?

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: American $ or Jamaican Plz help!!!!

Oh I know what that means and I took heed and booked my flights last week for March/April! :) :) :)

jenryan, you can pay for ANYTHING in JA$, it is the official currency of Jamaica.

We generally use JA$ for everything. The exception is that we go to the bank before we leave and get about 100 $1US bills and about 20 $5US bills - getting small denominations of any kind of $ in Jamaica can be difficult. Since you are from the UK and have pounds, I'd skip the US bills entirely, unles it is convenient to get US singles and fives.

Once there, we hoard $50JA and $100JA bills whenever we can :)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: American $ or Jamaican Plz help!!!!

Until this last trip, I always used US$.

This time I used JA$ and it is what I will do from now on.

Skip the confusion, just get JA$ and keep it simple.If you go to larger shops in te mlls, they usually accept credit cards as well.

Have fun!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: American $ or Jamaican Plz help!!!!

Oops (darn nails!) should read - the malls

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
821 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: American $ or Jamaican Plz help!!!!

Ohliz,

We were able to pull USD out from a Scotia Bank in Ochi. Bad thing is they dispersed in $50s. Went inside - got a lot of $1s and $5s... they looked @ us like we were crazy, but no problem. Oh, hd to accept some 10s and 20s... I didn't have an issue w/ USD -but like I said, had an issue @ Pineapple maeket in Ochi - no one wanted them! I know they go to the cambio to convert them, though...