We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Jamaica....

Omaha, NE
3 posts
Save Topic
First Time to Jamaica....

My boyfriend and I will be staying at Sandals-Montego Bay Feb 4-9. This is both of our first trips to Jamaica. What are the recommended must do things and got any secrets about the resort?

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
753 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Jamaica....

Hi JenHawk my boyfriend and I travelled to Jamaica last Feb. We stayed at the holiday inn sunspree so no recemmendations on your resort but I can sure help with some must do things!! You should for sure go to Dunns river falls as it's AMAZING!!! Also we travelled to the south coast to go to YS falls and on a crocodile cruise thing which was very cool as well. The swimming with dolphins is very expensive for what you get so I wouldn't suggest it. So for sure see Dunns river falls but I would suggest the trip that doesn't include the market shopping as it gets very annoying after a while and you can purchase all that kind of stuff either from crafters that visit the resort or nearby. Any questions feel free to contact me jenjackson13@hotmail.com

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Jamaica....

Jen, I can fill you in on a couple resort tid bits... Since you can visit and dine at the other resorts you should definately go to the Courtyard at SRC one night. The food is great and the atmosphere is very nice. Also at SRC is the Thai restraunt which is excellent. But if you have never had Thai food before, I highly suggest trying it before you get to Jamaica (some people have real stomache problems from it). Avoid dinner at Sandals Inn. We thought the food was blah, and we felt very confined there since it is sooo small. We ended up taking a cab back to the resort, we couldn't stand the thought of waiting an hour for the bus to come back after dinner.

As far as trips, like the other post said Dunns River Falls is a lot of fun. We also took a trip to the Rocklands Bird Sanctuary where the birds will eat right out of your hands, including the hummingbirds. It is so beautiful there up in the hills above MoBay. They will walk around with you and show you the natural herbs and spices... it was pretty cool. We met a ot of people that took the booze cruises and had a blast as well. What ever you do, I am sure you will have a fantastic time. After all... you will be in Jamaica mon!

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,722 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Jamaica....

Hello JenHawk,

There are so many tours and trips that you can take while in MoBay.

You may want to try seeing and living the experiences that are closer to your hotel to start off with.

Hire your own taxo limo for 5 or 6 hours in the afternoon to do these two.

Start with the Rafting ride. By 5:30pm you should be finished with this and make your way to the lagoon to have a swim at night.

www.jamaicarafting.com

www.glisteningwaters.com

Another day. HILTON HIGH DAY TOUR.

http://www.jamaicahiltontour.com/

Get an early start and do all three on the same day.

Black River Safari visitjamaica.com/planning_your_trip/…

YS FALLS visitjamaica.com/planning_your_trip/…

APPLETON ESTATE RUM TOUR. http://www.jamaica-southcoast.com/appleton/

visitjamaica.com/planning_your_trip/…

Have fun and please come back and share your stories with us.

NEW HAMPSHIRE
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Jamaica....

Hi Jen,

You are going to love Sandals MoBay. We have gone three times and will be returning in March 2006.

There is lots to do. When you get there make sure you make all your dinner reservations. They fill up quickly.

Go to the orientation that the resort provides. They go over everything that is available. They also give you info on all the tours. They also have a tour desk where you make all your reservations.

We have only done one tour. We went on the booz cruz to Margarita Ville. It's about $65.oo a person. You go on a beautiful boat, drinks aren't that great. You go snorkling, and then you stop at Margaritaville. You don't spend much time there...not enough time to even order food. The have a big water slide and a water trampoline. Then you go back to the resort. We went with a group of people and enjoyed it but wouldn't do it again.

There is lots of activities to do during the day. The playmakers are awesome. If you like beach volleyball, the organize it twice a day. We do that everyday.

Drinks down at the Piano bar are the best. Try a milkyway and a 69. They are to die for.

You can do so much at the resort. Waterskiing is great. Learn how to wind surf. I tried that last year and loved it.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Go and have a great time. You will meet wonderful people there. And relax...Jamaican time no problems.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Jamaica....

JenHawk

If you are around on a Friday, check to see if there's a hotel shuttle to Pier 1 going about 11pm. It is quite the party, right in the heart of Montego Bay, out on a Pier with the hills and lights and water. It's incredible.