We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence Oyster Bay

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,899 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence Oyster Bay

Hi any interested parties.

When we are at Secrets Wild Orchid recently we were lucky enough to spend a morning out being shown where Excellence Oyster Bay will be built. The person who showed us around was Excellence Resorts Project Manager for the development who came across from Majorca some four years ago.

The peninsula where Excellence Oyster Bay and another three complexes will be built is opposite where the new Falmouth Cruise Port is being built - see link below

wikimapia.org/…b

which is about a 20 - 25 min drive from the airport

I fully appreciate that some people do not like large new developments in Jamaica and/or have different opinions on whether this particular project should go ahead but in my view anything that brings more tourists and employment to the island must surely be a good thing.

Below is the link to a few photos I took when we were on site:

travel.webshots.com/slideshow/578577857eTgqlm

I can say we had a totally free hand in what we saw and where we took pictures but due to the size of the peninsula we just saw a small part of the overall development as it was really where Oyster Bay will be built that we were interested in.

As well as the units that have already been started a lot of work has been done at ground level with bringing roads and services in and pile driving as each unit sits on stilts which go between 18 - 20m into the ground. As well as needing to be hurricane proof they have taken into account possible minor quakes as seemingly Jamaica sits near a fault line

In total Excellence Group have 3 km of beach front and all the parts we saw appeared to be prime natural beach - or rather it will be when it has had a deep clean and some of the seagrass and rocks are removed.

The peninsula just now is a bit of a mess as it is a mix of scrub land, mangrove swamp and wooded areas. Excellence in their revised plans have taken great care to minimise the environmental impact and to balance out their draining of some of the mangrove area have agreed to revitalise a large area of hurricane damaged swamp and bring it back to prime condition - this area will be protected as will an area where turtles come ashore to lay their eggs

Hopefully in the end they will have turned a rather ugly duckling into a beautiful swan

Excellence Oyster Bay itself will have 850m of beach front. Whilst I cannot go into what I was told about the overall layout of the resort itself I can say that it will be stunning with the Excellence Club building being over the ocean - again the location of these units was altered to minimise the environmental impact on the "glistening waters"

The units themselves that have been started are of a similar size and interior feel to those at EPM and La Amada

Please note that the build is still on hold but I for one cannot wait for them to start the build again and to make a trip there

1. Re: Excellence Oyster Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:26 pm, September 17, 2010
2. Re: Excellence Oyster Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:26 pm, September 17, 2010
Edited: 1:26 pm, September 17, 2010
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence Oyster Bay

Hi to all,

Due to the closure and removal of previous topics on this subject, and after conferring with the moderation staff, the topic has been re-posted.

Please note -- it is a violation of our guidelines to challenge the rights of any user to participate on our site, to challenge the author's credibility, or to make allegations of fraudulent or deceptive behavior on the part of any specific author or travel-related business represented on this site.

It is also a violation of our guidelines to make comments that are critical of TripAdvisor policies, procedures or staff, OR to make comments that misrepresent our policies and procedures, quote out of context, misquote or cut and paste any portion of official correspondence with the TripAdvisor moderators or administrators.

Please remember -- while users are entitled to engage in discussions in which they submit opposite points of view on travel-related subject matter, those discussions should remain courteous and stay on-topic and relevant to the destination forum. Disruptive arguments, accusations and personal attacks on any other member will result in removal of messages, and should the author(s) repeat these violations of our guidelines, we may have no option but to take further action against those who cannot comply with our forum guidelines.

If you cannot contribute in a courteous and respectful manner to any discussion on our forums -- no matter what the subject matter -- then your only options is to refrain from commenting in that thread. Simply move on to a new topic and contribute appropriately.

We will not act as the arbitrators in personal disputes, and we will not act as the judge and jury in any argument about the validity of any content published on our site. These arguments have NO PLACE on the forums, and it is our expectation that -- as adults -- all members can ignore those with whom they are unable to converse in a civil and respectful manner.

I will remind every reader to review our guidelines, and think carefully before posting again:

tripadvisor.com/help/what_are_the_guidelines…

If you have any issues about content published on our site, the ONLY appropriate channel for voicing those concerns is via private email to TripAdvisor Staff.

Thank you all for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Edited: 1:47 pm, September 17, 2010
Boston
Level Contributor
224 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence Oyster Bay

thanks flip! I was really curious about the developments of this resort. Hopefully it opens sooner than later!

new jersey
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence Oyster Bay

Flip, thank you for reposting!

TA Jane, thank you for your post. It seems to be an ongoing problem with people being nasty to others. Just not right for those who are actually interested in reading the post and for the person who takes the time to post informative information, answers questions and posts numerous pictures on their personal time. Thank you again.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence Oyster Bay

It's Oyster Bay now?

Michigan
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellence Oyster Bay

Thanks for the update FFM. We're really looking forward to hearing more about the opening of this resort in the future. And of course, we're looking forward to visiting!

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellence Oyster Bay

Thanks for the update. I love Jamaica and Excellence.Will be waiting patiantly.

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,639 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellence Oyster Bay

As of today, do they have an anticipated opening date?

Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellence Oyster Bay

I would say 3-4 years, if in fact the project starts up again.