We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golfing

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Golfing

My husband and I along with three other couples are staying at Sandals MoBay Jan 19th-24th. The men really want to do some golfing, any suggestions on the best courses to golf and if any, the ones not so worth the money?? They are pretty good golfers that need a challenge. Any ideas of prices?? Any golf info for MoBay would be great. Thanks

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Golfing

No GOLFERS out there???

Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Golfing

MrSvern:

The Rose Hall Golf Association website (www.rosehallgolf.com) posts write-ups and green fees for the three best courses nearest your hotel: Half Moon, Cinnamon Hills (formerly run by the Wyndham) and The White Witch run by The Ritz Carlton. The three courses are 5 minutes from one another about 15 minutes east of the Sangster Airport. You and your guests would be paying the higher rates inamsuch as favored rates are granted to guests of the the three hotels affiliated with each course.

The variety offered by the three courses is very distinct and exceptional. Half Moon requires caddies and promotes walking. It has been recently renovated (back nine in 2004); front nine, driving range, short game and practice putting green this past summer. It is a Robert Trent Jones Sr. layout that reads 7,100+yds from the Championship tees but can play much tougher if the prevailing winds are blowing. It plays as short as 5,800 yds from the ladies tees. It is the most forgiving of the three courses and an easy course to walk. It is a challenging course that plays along the foothills of the mountains along the coast. It plays tougher than its course rating for the low handicapper if the wind blows--as it usually does.

The White Witch is breathtaking, lots of elevation changes. It plays along the ridge of mountains that align the coast offering some majestic views of the coastline. Great service and a fun course. But if the wind is blowing, get ready for a test. This is a very difficult course to walk. Caddies are requried and carts are a must. This has a high 'wow' factor but takes the longest to play.

Cinnamon Hills is the most varied of the three: there are ocean holes, mountain holes, acqueduct and sugar mill ruins, James Bond movie waterfall hole, Johnny Cash's house hole, mangoes that fall from trees and roll across the fairway hole (11th?), graveyard hole. In a word it is a course with romance. It also happens to be a very good course that requires more accuracy with the driver than the other two. This course is a combination between Half Moon and the Witch with respect to walk-ability; the front nine is walkable, the back nine has more elevation changes making a cart a nice thing to have. Caddies are required.

I believe all three courses rent clubs if that is a concern of your guests. All courses are worth the money and provide ample challenges. Because of heavy rains in October and November, the courses have some soft conditioning in spots that may have been cleared up by the time your guests are on island.

Tryall on the west side of Montego Bay is another highly respected course with an excellent reputation. It has some coast holes and hill holes and hosted the Johnny Walker Classic for several years in the 90's. I've not played it so I cannot comment on its value.

Also close by is Ironshore. It is not as highly thought of as the other four courses I mentioned and generally not in as good condition. It may be the lowest priced, however.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Golfing

Thanks so much for your thoughts my hubby will be interested to read this..

Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Golfing

Not a problem. Needless to say, the golf is much better in Jamaica than Wisconsin this time of year.