We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Beach or Rose Hall or ????

Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Topic
Sunset Beach or Rose Hall or ????

We really want to stay in Mobay at a family resort - I've eliminated the Royal Decameron since it's pretty much on the hip strip and the Holiday Inn (reviews). I thought the Rose Hall would be a good choice since I've been there before but it seems like it's really changed. I know nothing about Sunset Beach and the reviews are mixed. Any suggestions would be really helpful. Our budget is about $2800 for the week (so the ritz is out!) Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Rose Hall
Rose Hall
Jamaica
Egg Harbor...
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Beach or Rose Hall or ????

I loved SSB when I went in October. I went with my girlfriends and we don't have kids but it seemed like a family friendly resort. Check Expedia because with air we paid $800pp for 5 nights. They seemed to have the best deals. Also, once you are there you don't have to spend a dime so that is great!!! We loved the water park and we are all in our late 20s so I'm sure your kids will love it too!!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Beach or Rose Hall or ????

At Sunset Beach "All Inclusive" is "All Inclusive". you don't get a piece of paper listing what drinks or food is extra.

Since you know Rose Hall, try SSB this time.

Mentioned in this post
Rose Hall
Rose Hall
Jamaica
Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Beach or Rose Hall or ????

I will agree that a true all inclusive is much easier to deal with. Carrying a card around all day is a pain and having to show it to receive a club soda is annoying.

Also at Rose Hall the "premium" food is not any better than the paid for food. We also noticed that the price for a premium beer is out of sight expensive!

Mentioned in this post
Rose Hall
Rose Hall
Jamaica
New Jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Beach or Rose Hall or ????

My mother and I went to SSB and we loved it. All you can eat!!! It was a nice place very clean and The staff was kind.

Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Beach or Rose Hall or ????

Sounds like the consensus is Sunset Beach. My husband really liked the Rose Hall when we were last in 2000 and has talked since about returning with the kids. I was ok with that, until Clifford's review - since we had similar concerns upfront. Clifford - I asked about the $45 charge for steak at the Palms and was told it was the wrong menu. The ai menu is different - is that true? Do they have 2 separate menus now? I called SSB and their rates for the week are about $300 more than the deal at Rose Hall. They both sound like 3 star resorts, which is fine for us. We're planning on going during spring break, so both places will be really crowded - should I be concerned with overbooking at either place? I wonder if SSB will be more crowded since the addition of the new waterpark. Thanks for all your help!

Mentioned in this post
Rose Hall
Rose Hall
Jamaica
Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Beach or Rose Hall or ????

10scgirl,

The menu we were given at Three Palms clearly stated that there was an additional $45 (maybe $48) charge to the all inclusive plan and our bill clearly reflected that charge. In Luna (the other sit down restaurant) the additional charge was only $15 for pasta and lobster which was so spicy I could not eat it.

I don't know about overbooking. Rose Hall became really crowded closer to Christmas. I am glad we left when we did.

I hate to sound snobby, but that was just not the type of people I want around my daughters.

Have fun at the other place and good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Rose Hall
Rose Hall
Jamaica
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Beach or Rose Hall or ????

Are your friends still going to Rose Hall for spring break?

Mentioned in this post
Rose Hall
Rose Hall
Jamaica
jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Beach or Rose Hall or ????

For the price SSB is a great resort. we were there before the water park was complete and really liked it. The food can become boring after a while, but we just left the resort twice and ate. The best thing about the resort is you are right on the beach and the views are awsome. If liquer is your thing keep in mind it is island and cheep liquer only. hope this helps.