We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montego Bay for the day?

alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Montego Bay for the day?

My family and I will be arriving by cruise ship at the end of March. What would you suggest for a group of 9 people ranging in age from 18 - 57 with one being pregnet? We will have about 7 hours. Also where is the best place to shop?

MIAMI
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Montego Bay for the day?

Dunns river falls would be nice considering a group that large.

i know this is not pertaining to your question chexmix.. however, make sure you contact the cruise line DIRECTLY regarding the policy for passengers that travel during pregnancy. Took a cruise out of Miami once.. and a lady was denied boarding due to her being pregnant.

alabama
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montego Bay for the day?

Thanks for the idea.

I have already spoken to the cruise line about it. She has to be less than 27 weeks and have a note from her doctor. At the time of our cruise she will only be 22 weeks or 4 1/2 months.

portsmouth/nh and...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Montego Bay for the day?

Via your cruiseship excursion desk/vans, Dunn's River will be a good 1.5 bours via tourist bus from dockside;it's a steep climb

and slippery and not recommended for pregnant women. And it will be full of cruiseshippers.

Private guide services with vans for up to 19 might take you instead to Mayfields Falls,

class 2 rafting on the Great Gorge, the Gallery of West Indian Art, Rainbow Gift Shop for Cuban cigars and other shopping off the

beaten track. Avoid the so-called 'hip strip':Gloucester Ave which is tout-and-tourist tat to the max.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montego Bay for the day?

You could go see the hummingbird sanctuary near Anchovy. You can feed them out of your hand there. The hip strip is the popular tourist section to shop.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montego Bay for the day?

sorry zifah but no dunn's river falls for preggers! Good suggestions from Tiverton and jamerican. I'd get a private guide with a van as you just don't have a ton of time really. Check out some 'local' flair. Hummingbird sanctuary sounds nice as does the art gallery. Enjoy.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,865 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montego Bay for the day?

Hello chexmix,

Contact this company and arrange the proper size limo van for your party. www.jcaltours.com

This company also offers some interesting sights within the MoBay area.

http://www.jcaltours.com/mobaytour.htm

Here is an easy river raft ride that is not dangerous.

roundhilljamaica.com/newsletter/III_raft.htm

The climb up the Dunns River Falls is an exciting one. However, the trip to get there is a MINIMUM of 2 hours as they are still fixing that highway. Total of 4 hours travelling time, out of your alloted seven hours shore time is not a wise choice to make.

Please allow the limo driver to take part in your decissions as they know the MoBay area and are the real experts in Tourism.

ENJOY!

portsmouth/nh and...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Montego Bay for the day?

Recommendations:

Barrett Adventures

www.barrettadventures.com

Chef and Libby Thompson

www.cheftours.5u.com

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Montego Bay for the day?

My suggestion would be for all to go over to Doctor's Cave Beach for the day. Rent some unbrellas and chairs and spend the day on the most beautiful and world famous Doctor's Cave Beach. There's places to eat and drink there and if that's not enough, some may want to get stamped and take the short (less than a block) walk over to Margarittaville and check that place out. There's a giant slide and trampolines to play on. If you get real adventureous, you can walk over to Tony's Pizza for some Jamaican pizza(about 2 blocks toward the airport) and visit the craft market there.

You can easily eat up 7 hours lazing on the beach. It's only about a 10 minute taxi ride to Doctor's Cave Beach from the port. You could all go in one large bus type taxi or take separate smaller taxis. Either way it will be an experience and you won't be spending your precious time off the ship driving all over the island.