We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Warning

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
Sandals Warning

My fiance and I had our wedding postponed by hurricane wilma. We called Sandals and they said they would supply us a refund because we had travel insurance and we weren't sure what we were going to do.

That was almost 2 months ago and we still don't have our money back.

I've spoken with them 6 times and the first 5 I got 5 different managers who all assured me we would get our money back.

Today I called and they said 'no refund'. The story has changed and they are being very shady.

Whatever you do, do not book with SANDALS. I'll supply anyone more details if they are going to book with them. They give you the runaround and don't treat you with respect.

If they had said from the beginning no refund would be given, that would have been a different story. The issue is they said it wouldn't be a problem, and strung us along for 6 weeks before changing the story.

I am currently filing a complaint with my credit card company to try and get the money back, and I am contacting my lawyer.

I've dealt with many other all inclusive companies and I've never experienced such poor treatment.

Be very careful before booking anything with Sandals, and don't count on the travel insurance being honored.

Frank W.

ADB
New England
Level Contributor
75 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Warning

That is interesting because we were there during Wilma and it was no problem. Why was it postponed? The hurricane never hit Jamaica and only some rain and big waves which were interesting to see.

Long Island
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Warning

Something doesn't "smell" right here...

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Warning

100% agree with u mramstel!!!

Inuvik, Canada
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Warning

If a person has travel insurance the insurance company pays the refund not the resort owner.There seems to be problem with this post.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Warning

sounds like somethings a little wrong here

long island, ny
Level Contributor
613 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Warning

Huh?

Let me get this straight:

1.) You HAVE travel insurance

2.) You cancel because of a hurricane.

3.) you say Sandals won't pay YOU.

First: It doesn't work that way. You file a claim with your insurance company first. The Sandals travel is underwritten by AIG. I doubt a company like this plays games with their coverage, Most of the insurance covers "Cancel for any reason". The only thing it does not cover is "Pre-existing" conditions. I looked. I have a copy of it right in front of me.

Second: If you HAD gone to sandals, and the hurricane hit the resort, SANDALS would have replaced your vacation in full, not the travel insurance. That's the hurricane guarantee that Sandals has.

So either way, you should be re-imbursed for your trip.

If you had a travel agent that knew what they were doing, you would have had this settled in 5 days or less!

I personally could have had the local sandals rep take care of this the same day.