We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Jamaica, what is the "Hip Strip"

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Jamaica, what is the "Hip Strip"

Hello,

I am planning a trip with my fiance in Feb to JA and would like to know what to do. We are staying at the Starfish Trelawny and are in our late 20's. Please help, any advise will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Jamaica, what is the "Hip Strip"

Hi, concernedtraveler!

Congratulations on your engagement! You must be getting very excited about your trip. :)

The Hip Strip is a strip of clubs and restaurants along a beach in Montego Bay. Runaway Bay is a little bit of a drive from Montego Bay, but that would be fun because you would be about half way between Mobay and Ocho Rios, so you can easily get to see both areas. What types of things are you interested in doing? Are you definitely staying at Starfish or are you interested in other places as well? I've never been there but have heard great things about it.

I hope that you guys have a great time!!

-Leah

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Jamaica, what is the "Hip Strip"

concernedtraveler,

Congrats!!!! Starfish is a fun resort with a good value for the price. However its quite a drive from the hip strip in Mo Bay. Starfish is located near Falmouth and is about 40 minutes from Mo Bay. If you take a taxi to it be sure to go down to the road and barder price for a cab as the hotel will arrange one for a higher price, usually almost double. Usually the hotel will have its taxi prices posted for specific spots (eg to Mo Bay, Ochi, or Negril. Keep those prices in mind and walk down the circular drive to the road and you'll see just how much you can save in cab fare. Be sure to barder price before you get into the cab though. There is a pretty cool local spot bar right across the street from the resort. It is worth checking out at least one night. Illuminous Lagoon is also near to where you are staying and is a fun/romantic evening activity.

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Jamaica, what is the "Hip Strip"

Thank you very much for your responses SeaLeah and Jamerican28.

I am really excited about the trip, I have already booked Starfish however it was a really great deal which allows for extra $$ to spend elsewhere. I will definitly try to barter taxi's outside of the hotel. (I had to do the same in Puerto Plata,DR to get a good rate) Can you tell me is it better to try and find other at the resort to share a cab with or do the cabbies charge a flat rate pp no matter how many are traveling?

Also, what is the Illuminous Lagoon? Is that a restaurant or activity/excursion.

SeaLeah, we like to explore! Anything that would prompt great pictures for the album is a must. We are pretty active and also like to shop and eat!! -But who doesn't. Thanks again guys and keep the ideas coming!

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Jamaica, what is the "Hip Strip"

concernedtraveler,

Illuminous Lagoon is a spot where fresh water river and sea water mix. At night the water illuminates to movement so you see everything from fish darting back and forth to the path from the boat's engine prop. There is only a couple of other spots like it in the world (its quite the natural phenomenom). It also has a restaurant and bar. You can just eat dinner or take a boat tour. If you eat there they usually give you a discount on the boat ride. Locals say the water has healing capabilities although I have my doubts. Anyways you can jump in and swim if you want to and as you tred water your body will glow. In my opinion Jamaicans make the best tour guides as their narrative is both humorous and interesting. The captain of the boat will give you all the history, tell some jokes, and maybe even bust out in song.

You'll probably get a cheaper rate sharing with others. Route taxis are per person but you most likely will not be dealing with a route taxi. I forgot to tell you about Bamboo village next door. You can get some funny souveniors in there. Falmouth is a cool historic town you might want to take a tour of one day. It is a genuine Jamaican midsize city and also has some shopping.

Scotchies makes some real good jerk and has a bar. If your driver stops there on the way from the airport or on a trip to Mo Bay one day its a pretty good lunch/dinner spot to eat.

Hope this helps and that you have a great trip.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,617 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Jamaica, what is the "Hip Strip"

Hello concernedtraveller,

I am happy that you chose Jamaica as your holiday destination.

However, that hotel is more family oriented and is far from the Hip Strip and where the action is.

Here is a map and if you click twice to enlarge then you will see exactly where your hotel is located. Look for JACK TAR VILLAGE. From that point all the way left to the Wexford Court is known as the "HIP STRIP"

http://www.mobay.com/montego.jpg

This is where all the nightlife is at.

margaritavillecaribbean.com/locations_monteg…

www.Coralcliffjamaica.com

Margaritaville and Coral Cliff are the in places to be.

One evening you can take a boat from your hotel over to this lagoon.

www.glisteningwaters.com

On another day you can take this ride.

www.jamaicarafting.com MARTHA BRAE RIVER $50 per raft. For two.

Have a good holiday but please, next time ask us this question before you make the final choice of hotel.

Maryland
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Jamaica, what is the "Hip Strip"

Make sure you check out Time N Place while staying at Starfish Trelawny. Its a very short cab ride or you can take the kayaks from Trelawny and paddle over(short trip). Time N Place is a true Jamaican beach bar. Fashion mags have done photo shoots there and movies have filmed there.

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Jamaica, what is the "Hip Strip"

Hi, concernedtraveler!

Hope that you enjoy the resort! So, you guys are adventurous, huh? Sounds like my kinda people. :) You guys could have a great time if you take a day trip to Port Antonio, or Negril. They are probably about the same distance from Runaway Bay, but in opposite directions. It would probably take you 3 hours to get to either place, but it would really be well worth it. Negril has great night life as there are clubs right along the beach where you can just take a stroll at night and stop for some dancing in the sand wherever there's music, and there was always live music somewhere when I was there. And then the cliffs of Negril are really beautiful, and you can see people diving off of the cliffs at sunset.

www.rickscafejamaica.com/

I really love Negril, because I like it when I feel as though I'm not a tourist, and walking along the beach, meeting the locals, having a red stripe with your new friends while you find a road side food stand to try. (And the best part is you can drink the water, and eat all the food!) :)

Another place that was like that for me was Portie, I was ready to move there after spending a week wandering around. It's so lush and beautiful, you can venturing into the Blue Mountains and see where the best coffee in the world is grown, or find hidden waterfalls in the amazing rainforest that is everywhere, and fall asleep (if you can take your eyes off of the scenery!) on the most gorgeous beaches. And the amazing thing is, it can cost you nothing. :) I just love this place, and there are few tourists and a whole lotta unspoiled beauty, a photographers dream. :)

http://www.go-jam.com/french-e.html

The Luminous Lagoon is really cool, it's best to go on a day that's not cloudy or anything, and for an interesting experience you can dive right in with the water glowing around you. We didn't try the restaurant that's right there, but I believe that you can get a deal if you buy the ticket with dinner.

I hope that you guys have a great time!!!

-Leah

Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Jamaica, what is the "Hip Strip"

Wow guys, thank you again for all of the great information. I am going to look into all of your ideas! I am really excited about the vacation, but knowing me I will need a vacation from my vacation once I am finished trying to do all of these things!!

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Jamaica, what is the "Hip Strip"

concernedtraveler,

Good point. Don't stress out trying to make an itenary to follow. If you have time I'm sure you will enjoy them though. Schedules are hard to keep in Jamaica and you will soon see what I mean. Jamaica is really about relaxation. Have fun.