We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping etiquette

Ontario
4 posts
Save Topic
Tipping etiquette

Hi I travel quite frequently to tropical areas. However, I have not yet travelled to Jamaica. This is always a concern of mine when going to a new place. I have found an all inclusive resort and am just wanting to know what the tipping etiquette is with all inclusive packages. I would hate to go there and not do as I should. I someone could please respond to my post, I'd appreciate it! Thanks

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping etiquette

Hello OntarioGirl,

In the hotel industry in Jamaica, all tips are added to each bill.

If you are on an A/I eating plan, then this is also included.

This system was designed so that every member of staff can share in the tips. Normally it is your waiter that gets the tips.

But there are a lot of other staff members involved in this work to make sure that you get the best treatment. Most of these are in the background and do most of the work. Now they get a share of the pie as well.

If you feel that someone has gone out of their way to do something special for you personally, then go ahead and compensate them for it. Please find a very discreet way of handling this. The persons job may be in danger. A folded envelope at the end or during your stay is nice.

Good maners, respect, a positive attitude and a happy smiling face always goes a long way to show your appreciation. ENJOY!

cc
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping etiquette

Tipping at some all-inclusives can cost employees their jobs if caught or found out.

portland maine
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping etiquette

We have been to Jamaica several times- and while it says all inclusive and no tipping, you are guaranteed EXCELLENT service if you tip a buck or two to the bartender or beach grill staff. Please be discreet, as they are not supposed to accept gratuities. These folks work hard for very little money.

cc
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping etiquette

You are bribing staff tipping and incouraging uneven service - while jepordizing a person's job. Why can't you people accept that your tips are included - why do you feel the need to throw your wealth in their faces - do you feel guilty because you have and they have not - why do you bother going to an all-inclusive if you feel the need to tip?! If I want to tip, I will stay at a traditional hotel. If you have to that need to tip do it away from the resort, descretely AT THE END OF YOUR STAY.

New York
Level Contributor
126 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping etiquette

We just returned from the Wyndham - on an all-inclusive package, and tipping isn't just encouraged - it's expected. Tips are not added in to any bill.

You should also be aware that at the airport, we picked up our bags at Customs, and went to our transfer destination point - where our bags were loaded on to a bus, we tipped the person who we thought was our driver - turns out, they just worked at the airport... then our driver asked for tips when we got off the bus - and then of course we tipped the bellhop at the resort for bringing our bags to our room. So - the lesson here is, carry lots of singles - or plan to carry your own bags.

Mattituck, NY
Level Contributor
850 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping etiquette

I think there is nothing wrong with giving tips at all inclusives. The dollar or two go directly to the intended person, and it means more to the recipient than it will ever mean to me. The people who work hard and make my vacation extra enjoyable deserve a little extra. I am very discreet, though, because I do not want to draw attention to it.

minnesota
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping etiquette

Cimbriano

I agree with you. You made some great points. Bottom line is, in anything in life the more you give the more you will recieve.

As a matter of fact if you would like to lose somthing hang onto it realy tight

God Bless

Curt

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
559 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping etiquette

Which all inclusive resort did you choose? At a large number of them (including all the Couples, Sandals, and Superclub resorts) tipping is not allowed. One of the bartenders at a Couples resorts told me that one time a customer received such excellend service from an employee that he felt obligated to give a tip to her. As a nice gesture he decided to write Couples management to rave about the service and in that letter he said even there was a no tipping policy he felt obligated to give a small amount as a thank you and after receiving the letter, that employee was fired on the spot for accepting money. So just find out what the policy is at the resort you will be.

If there is a tipping policy, I would basically give $1 or so per drink and 15% for a meal.

Canada
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping etiquette

Just wondering? What about tipping away from the resort. Is this okay to do,such as taxi drivers,luggage porters at the airport,bus drivers etc? Or even at restaurants off the resort, or what about private streetside stands?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
559 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping etiquette

Yes anytime I am off the resort I tip people. I always tip taxi drivers a few dollars and tip 15% at restaurants (that is considered excellent there). Also if somebody helps at the airport I usually give them $1 per bag.