We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much do things cost in jamaica?????

South london
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How much do things cost in jamaica?????

Hi ,

I am going to Jamaica staying on the Gloucester avenue strip .This is my second time in J.A , however the last time I went I was a kid so I have no idea of the money situation!

If anyone knows better please let me know.I need to know the cost of standard things I.e

>Meal for two

>Cost of a cab for the day

> Cost of a beer (red stripe)

If any one can help i would be grateful :)

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much do things cost in jamaica?????

honestly it really depends on where and what you eat. Same for the price of red stripe.

Expect to pay 150 jmd to 300 jmd for a red stripe.

Cabs cost APPROX $150.00 usd for the day

Meals will be $5.00 usd for road side chicken to $30.00 at a restaurant.

Budget what you would at home.

maryland
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much do things cost in jamaica?????

Well just got back stayed in Montego bay for 4 days and runaway bay for 4, I did AI but what I saw everything is super expensive.. We went off the beaten Path to find small gifts because the resort was so high but they were not better every where we went.. Some forums said to wait to you get to airport but you are talking 22 $ for a shirt, 18 for a hat, little drum set for a kid 24$ crazy...

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
50 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much do things cost in jamaica?????

wow ! would those be Hip Strip prices too ?? $22. t-shirt ??

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
638 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much do things cost in jamaica?????

T-shirts on the hip strip can be anywhere from $2 to $40 depending where you shop. I also bought some shot glasses for $1 There are shops on the hip strip that are really high priced, Harley Davidson and there are others that are very reasonable. The cheaper T-shirts are not as good quality as the more pricy ones. Margaritaville T-shirt were around $30. There are also shops at the airport that will have some sales. I wouldn't leave all my shopping for the airport. If you see what you want and the price works for you, buy it. Have a great trip.

Waukon, Iowa
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much do things cost in jamaica?????

$22 for a t-shirt?! Holiday Inn Shopping Village (across the street from HI and a block down from Scotchies) had t-shirts starting at $10, but you could get them down to $8! Even a Red Stripe brand t-shirt was only $15. I would recommend stopping in at B-Dazzled (right on the corner) and say hi to Patrick. They offer free internet access, phone calls to the U.S. (and possible Canada?), and free drinks, just for stopping in.

maryland
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much do things cost in jamaica?????

Well I guess I missed the Hip Strip.. I was taken by taxi to a small strip type mall in Montego bay downtown, and they did have some shirts you could buy I think it was 3 for 20$ but they where crappy so after reading the reviews alot of people said that they waited till they got to the airport to buy stuff because it was all the same well I didn't buy much the airport was super high..

Waukon, Iowa
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much do things cost in jamaica?????

The only shopping I would leave to the airport is duty free items, like liquor. However, if you have a connecting flight, you will have to pack any liquids over 3 oz in your checked bag on the baggage room floor before going through security again.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much do things cost in jamaica?????

I will ad when it comes to T shirts you get what you pay for. I have wasted so much money buying cheap Jamaica t shirts and they shrink up totally! Some shrink length wise and then they are short and wide! One I got last year the glitter lettering cracked first time I wore it. This year If I buy a T shirt I will be investing a little more money and getting a good one!

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much do things cost in jamaica?????

agreed Marylynn. no more cheap t shirts...unless you view them like disposable shirts. Wear it once and it's garbage.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much do things cost in jamaica?????

yes souvenirs are expensive. Consider when you get home how much that t-shirt will mean to you after a year or two. My guess will end up on your garage sale.

Get something that you can't buy at home coffee, liquor , painting, wood carvings, neat shell or a pretty rock you found on the beach.

memories are free.........

But don't expect to eat, drink or shop cheap in Jamaica