We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montego Bay Beaches

Califonia
4 posts
Save Topic
Montego Bay Beaches

How are the beaches in Montego Bay. I am scheduled for the Holiday Inn Montego Bay next year.

I keep reading a lot of reviews that it is a man made beach.

Are all of the Montego Bay beaches man made? or just this one?

What is the disadvantage of a man-made beach?

We like beaches so we just want to make sure that the beach here is OK before we keep the plans.

Am I better off going to Negril?

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Montego Bay Beaches

Most of the beaches in Mobay (and the rest of the island for that matter) are natural beaches. Only a few are considered man-made (or "dump-up") beaches. It is true that the beaches in Negril are the best but you won't be disappointed in Mobay either.

Califonia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montego Bay Beaches

We do like beaches, but we really aren't very "picky"

Actually we're used to New Jersey beaches and I'm sure any beach in the Carribean is better than a Jersey beach.

It's just that in the pictures that I saw from MoBay, the Sea looks more like a lake (not many waves) (or is this just my imagination?)

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montego Bay Beaches

Speaking from New Jersey...

Montego Bay beaches are different from Jersey in that you can encounter coral/seaweed bottoms. In Jersey, you mostly have sand and shell bottoms with seaweed in the water.

Not sure about the Holiday Inn.

The water in Bloody Bay in Negril is mostly all sand and only a few feet deep with no waves. Beautiful!

You will see more "wavy" water most other beaches in Negril, but it will be neither as wavy nor as cold as Jersey water.

And, for the record, incase anyone wants to make a comment, Jersey beaches have been rated some of the cleanest on the East Coast in the last few years. No wisecracks...

Califonia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Montego Bay Beaches

I will agree.

I have really enjoyed Jersey beaches over the past several years.

And they are so large too.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montego Bay Beaches

Beaches are definitely smaller in Jamaica. Some resorts will have you getting up early to claim a lounge chair in a prime spot. Again, not sure about the Holiday Inn (Sunspree?).

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Montego Bay Beaches

Hi, qw34954!

The best beach in Montego Bay is Doctor's Cave Beach, in my opinion, which will be about a 15 minute cab ride away. True that there are no waves, but the water is more beautiful than lake water. ;)

But if you have not booked yet, I would seriously consider going to Negril. It's just an hour and a half away, maybe a lot less with a crazy driver, and the beach is gorgeous. There are so many breathtaking places to stay on the beach and on the cliffs, it would be a shame to go to Jamaica and not get to see it. I stayed here earlier this year in a villa on the cliffs of Negril. If this doesn't make you drool I don't know what will.

www.rockhousehotel.com

Hope you guys have a wonderful trip!!!

-Leah

temecula ca
Level Contributor
560 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Montego Bay Beaches

The beach is more beautiful in Negril with the white sand beaches. Keri

NYS
Level Contributor
285 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Montego Bay Beaches

I agree that Doctor's Cave Beach is MoBay's best. It is one of three or four beaches right in the city; Holiday Inn is several miles east.

Wave conditions vary, but the beaches in town are in a protected bay, while the Hol. Inn, Wyndham, etc., are not, so the water is usually calmer in town.

My advice, if you are staying at the Hol. Inn, is to pick a couple of days during your stay to be "beach days" at Doctor's Cave. There is an admission fee, and you can rent chairs, umbrellas, snorkel gear. There is a fairly inexpensive snack bar, and you can walk down the street a bit to the Pork Pit, Margaritaville, many other places.