We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the BEST Sandals Resort??

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
greenville, south...
10 posts
Save Topic
What is the BEST Sandals Resort??

Hey Everyone:

We are planning on going to a Sandals in March for our honeymoon. I have read almost ALL reviews on sandals resorts. As I expected, the reviews are mixed. I have one question. WHAT IS THE BEST SANDALS RESORT. We are pretty laid back people who want to relax more than anything - really not into partying and getting involved in too many group activities.

I know these reviews will be mixed too, but I still want to feel out everyone's opinion. However, if you feel that there are better all-inclusives than Sandals, let me know this too. Remember the recent hurricanes...

Thanks to all.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What is the BEST Sandals Resort??

I have never been to a Couples, so I don't know how they compare. One of my employees honeymooned at Couples Negril and he said it was very nice. To be honest, I love Sandals so much that when it's time to book a vacation, they are are the first place I look for. They have the Signature Guest program where you earn points for nights stayed and money spent (like the spa). Last year we received $500 off the price from the points we had earned. There are many benefits to the program, check it out on sandals.com. It is fair to say that the pics are "doctored" on the web and brocures, as most resorts are. Best thing to do is request to see pics from those who have stayed. About the "au natural" on the beach... keep in mind that the caribbean is more laid back, and people are visiting from all over the world. Each Sandals I have been to I have seen a couple topless women, but never "groups". And with that they were laying in the sun and not walking around or in the pool. The Royal Bahamian and Royal Caribbean both have off shore islands with private beaches for those that want to sunbathe nude. $4000 is enough for a nice vacation with Sandals. (I highly suggest a concierge level room) Which ever resort you are considering, make sure you find out if they are making major renovations and when they will be complete. Nothing like a construction site to spoil things and I know they have been doing a lot.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What is the BEST Sandals Resort??

Sandals is not the way to go. With all the adds and hipe you would think they would be outstanding. Like you my husband and I did stay at a Sandals resort for our honeymoon and we did think it was ok but we had never been to an All Inc. before, now after years of travelling and marriage we see we could have had so much more for the same money. It is like if you don't know what is a great resort it is hard to compare until you have been to other All Inc. Sandals resorts tend to be very small only one or two restaurants to choose from for all your meals and not much going on in the form of entertainment due to the fact of the average age of their clients. If you want to stay at a great All Inc. I can recommend the Riu chain of resorts stay at one play at 4 , great food best beaches lots of entertainment and great romantic areas to be newlyweds.

Try The Caves in Negril Jamaica, just don't do a sandals marj

liverpool ny
Level Contributor
819 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What is the BEST Sandals Resort??

We have been to The Royal Plantation but that was before it got too pricey for us. It was out of this world. Very Romantic, Elegant, Wonderful Food, Small but pretty beach etc. Very quiet but you had access to Sandals Ocho Rios, Dunns River and Beaches Grand Sport if you wanted more activity. It is really very expensive now,though. Secrets are very, very nice. The one in Punta Cana DR was wonderful. We were supposed to go to Secrets Excellence Riviera Maya next week but Wilma changed all that--check into that--it looks fabulous. It is re-opening 11/25 but I would wait until after the 1st of the year to go to Mexico if it were me. I have been to many many Sandals and honestly, I am reading that you get more bang for your buck at Couples resorts so don't get too hung up on Sandals. If you are stuck on Sandals and Jamaica is the island for you, Dunns River is nice and they are just finishing their renovations so you may look into that. We stayed there 3 yrs ago and had a ball but the rooms were moldy and we had to be moved (we never asked to do that before as we are pretty easy to please). Maybe the new renovations took care of that problem. Food was good but a lot of fruit flies and funny smells at the bars. Pools very nice and great outdoor sports bar where we watched SYRACUSE win the NCAA championship title that year!!! Nicholas, one of the playmakers made us feel so special every time he saw us by yelling over the loud speaker "The CUSE is in the House". Sandals Royal Bahamian is also nice and a tad pricey. That being said, we all know that you make your own fun but when it is your honeymoon it should be special, so good luck with whatever you decide and congrats!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What is the BEST Sandals Resort??

I feel bad for you! All of these mixed reviews!! But I would like to give you just 2 examples of what we experienced for a little insite... visit #1(honeymoon, Sandals Negril) a sunset beyond description, only the two of us left on the beach, they bring us a bottle of wine, I think to myself... what could make this more romantic? No joking, out of no where comes a local man walking up the beach. He's wearing black slacks and a white button up shirt, and playing the sax. He never stopped, just walked by... I swear I felt like I was in a friggin romance novel! Visit #2 (Sandals Royal Bahamian) Our first night there we go to dinner... a bottle of wine, candles lit, wonderful food. Then a waiter approaches our table and raises a glass. He toasts our one year anniversary, and proceeds to serenade us with a love song that brought half of the room to tears (including myself). These are only 2 examples of what we experienced.. there were many more. Sandals Resorts are not our first travel experience. We are very experience travelers and know the difference between the good and the bad. Trust me.. Sandals has the goods! I am sure that there are resorts out there that are nice as well, but I just don't feel the need to explore them when I am being pampered beyond my expectations.

Long Island
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What is the BEST Sandals Resort??

Sandals resorts tend to be very small only one or two restaurants to choose from for all your meals and not much going on in the form of entertainment due to the fact of the average age of their

Just to present accurate information whether you prefer Sandals or another all inclusive chain is that there are no Sandals that only have 1 or 2 restaurants. That is just a mis-statement of fact. I also think it depends on what you are looking for. Some of them are a bit more sophisticated than others, while some offer more bells and whistles, some have nicer beaches than others, some people might prefer a certain island over another. Of all the Sandals, Montego Bay has the highest number of returning guests, yet it is the oldest in the chain and certainly not the fanciest, but it has a great beach, warm, genuinely friendly staff, affordable, etc. does that make it the best? WH is the newest on the other coast and is supposed to be absolutely gorgeous, which I will find out firsthand come February. I would say to look into what each offers and find the one that best meets what you are looking for in your vacation.

Anthony

greenville, south...
10 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: What is the BEST Sandals Resort??

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the responses. We are still trying to decide. A friend is trying to convince us to rent a private house on St. Croix or Tortola - I have obviouly never been to either. It looks like it will either be this or a Sandals/Couples resort. Anyone who has had experience renting a private home/villa in the Caribbean, let me know where it was and what you thought. Thanks again.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
645 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What is the BEST Sandals Resort??

usc01,

Another option vs. flying all the way to St. Croix or Tortola would be to rent a villa in Jamaica. Unlike other Caribbean islands, most Jamaican villas come staffed with a cook, housekeeper, gardener/pool man and they will take very good care of you. You just pay for your groceries and let the villa cook whip up delicious meals for you.

Check out this website for a well known villa community only about a 45 minute drive from the airport in Montego Bay. They have loads of villas in all price ranges. We'll be staying here for the first time this coming January (we've done the whole all inclusive and small non a-i hotel thing so many times!!) and are very excited about it.

www.silver-sands.com

Good luck!

Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What is the BEST Sandals Resort??

Sandals by far is the best. I am not sure where the person stayed at that said Sandals only had 2 restaurants, but they were not at Sandals. Sandals has so many places to eat at it is amazing. I just came back from Sandals Dunn's River. There were 5 or so restaurants and we had room service. ALSO, there is Sandals Grande Ocho Rios in the area, we went there and they had more than 8 different food places.

Remember: In the Caribbean, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!