We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian Currency to J's

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Canadian Currency to J's

Hey all,

Will be at SSB Jan 21 - Feb 4. I have noticed a lot of people suggesting taking US currency. Has anyone had problems using American Express Traveller's cheques in Canadian currency to change over to "J's"? Can you take Traveller's cheques (in CDN or USD) to change over to US currency while in Jamaica? I am planning on taking a lot of small bills (one's and five's, tens etc for tipping, I try to avoid using credit cards when possible, but don't really want to carry a couple of thousand in cash either. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian Currency to J's

Honestly, you don't even need to chage over to "J's", we never did. They love taking american dollars. You can cash traveler's checks at the front deks with no problem.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian Currency to J's

Actually the front desk does not accept traveller's cheques in Canadian (US is no problem) but you can change it to Jamaican at the main cashier on property, located beside the front desk...Have fun!

One Love

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian Currency to J's

Thanks for the info, but when you cash traveller's cheques do they give you back US currency?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian Currency to J's

They told me that they wouldn't give you US but $J...give them a call at 876-979-8800. As far as I know, they usually change out to the local currency.

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian Currency to J's

thanks Islandhops,

do they have money exchanges around town like in Mexico "casa de cambio".

do you know if you can retrieve american from them? or if they take AMEX travellers cheques in Canadian funds? I have no problem converting to "J's" Its just a bit of a hassle to first change my money over to US and then change it again to Jamaican.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian Currency to J's

HI ryepie !

You are better off buying US travellers checks here in Canada first. You will get a better exchange that way and they are accepted most places in JA.

They will almost always change your TC's into Jamaican funds.

I really doubt you will need thousands of dollars even for two weeks... SSB IS an all-inclusive.

Blessings and respect to you, enjoy Jamaica !!!!

You are going to have a great vacation

Steve

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian Currency to J's

thanks JamaicaSteve,

so you figure I should just by traveller's cheques here in US funds?