We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wyndham Rose Hall vs. Sunset Beach

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wyndham Rose Hall vs. Sunset Beach

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion as to which resort is a better experience. I am leaning towards the Wyndham Rose Hall, but wanted some other opinions. Thanks in advance!!

Los Angeles, CA
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wyndham Rose Hall vs. Sunset Beach

Hello

I was at the Wyndham in May 05 and enjoyed myself. I traveled with 6 other ladies and had no real complaints. Nice big resort. Very clean. Lots of pools. Lots of activities. Really spread out so everything is not piled up.

I am going back to Jamaica in Apr. 06 and was looking at the Sunset Beach Resort. I am leaning towards that one because of the water park. I am traveling with my children. The only reason I am not staying at the Wyndham again is because my boyfriend works there. We would not be able to spend time together. But if that was not the case, I would definitly be returning to the Wyndham.

Hope this helps. If I can help with anything else please feel fre to email me.

msdoe1121@yahoo.com

New York
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wyndham Rose Hall vs. Sunset Beach

msdoe

Thank you so much for your response!

The only reason I am second guessing the Wyndham is because of the beach. It does not look as nice as some of the other beaches in Jamaica. I was really hoping for clear water, which it appears the Wyndham doesn't have. Would you agree that that beach isn't as nice? Or is it adequate? Thank you again for your help!

Englefield Green...
Level Contributor
167 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wyndham Rose Hall vs. Sunset Beach

I have only spent one night at Wyndham and many nights at sunset (although only one night in any one stay)...my opinion would be towards Sunset.

Wyndham is a nicer resort, but the AI signing for everything was too much of a pain for me...Sunset is only AI so no need to sign - just take what you want.

Beach at Sunset is better, but still has a lot of coral - so water shoes are nice. Sunset also has a CO beach which I prefer, even if it is not the best CO beach on the island.

Livelier environment at Wyndham, possibly better entertainment, but the simplicity at Sunset and the CO beach swing it for me. Staff are also very nice and friendly.

Los Angeles, CA
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wyndham Rose Hall vs. Sunset Beach

I am glad to be of some help.

I asked my friend about the water and he told me that whenever there is a storm or it rains the Wyndham gets alot of the run off. So the water is mirky alot. I did snorkel, we went out by the corals. The further out you go, of course it gets clearer.

Please anything else, I am here. If I don't know something, I will ask my friend. By the way, since I have been there the Wyndham has changed ownership. They will be doing some remodeling but no set date yet. Haven't been told of any other changes.

Ms Doe

Solihull, West Mids
Level Contributor
843 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wyndham Rose Hall vs. Sunset Beach

We stayed at Sunset Beach and thought it was wonderful. The water was crystal clear and the beach was to die for. There was nothing i could fault about it and would return without hesitation. My friend stayed at the Wyndham and absolutely loved it there. She did say that she was a bit disappointed with the beach though, but everything else was great. These are just my opinions but I really think you will be pleased with either of them.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wyndham Rose Hall vs. Sunset Beach

do they have a :live band" at sunset beach?? are water shoes really needed?? is it that rocky?? was supposed to begoin back to cacun, i think & i am already disappointed because just from a few reports i can tell there is no turquoise water at the sunset beach

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wyndham Rose Hall vs. Sunset Beach

Hi hopeless,

me again! Yes they have a live band at SSB. Please keep in mind that SSB is located on a marine preserve. This can be a plus and a minus.

Plus:

No vendors pulling up in boats while you are relaxing in the water.

Natural reef and fishes just off your beach.

Minus:

They cannot groom the beach in the water like some resorts. You will encounter urchins and possibly jellies (depending on water temp and currents, we saw NO jellies). There is also seaweed growth in parts of the beach. You can see and avoid this if you wish.

However, this is good for snorkeling just off the beach.

Deep breath now! Ahhh, vacation in two weeks!

San Fran/Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Wyndham Rose Hall vs. Sunset Beach

I have stayed at the Wyndham twice. They have really nice water park on one side of the resort and another large pool on the far side. They also have great golf course if you enjoy golfing. The service, food and grounds are absolutely beautiful. We have never seen any outside vendors on or near the beach. They keep it very private.....However, the beach is not the nicest in Jamaica. It has a lot of seaweed because they do not rake their beach. I understand that Sunset Beach is similar. Either way, you will hve a great vacation because Jamaica is so gorgeous!!!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
497 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wyndham Rose Hall vs. Sunset Beach

With more negative reviews lately of Rose Hall, I think we need to revisit the question. It seems like Rose has wilted.

Assuming a family is looking for decent accomodations and food, watchable entertainment, and fun water activities, is Sunset now the better choice?