We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will a passport be needed by July?

boston,mas
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
will a passport be needed by July?

my family with three children (10,11,13) will be traveling to SSB for first time in July. I was hearing that we might need passports by then. does anyone have any more low down on it?

Also with the kids to keep busy and not bored(as always) DOES anyone know other than the pool and beach what other activities at the SSB has to keep them busy. I have read from other forums about luminious lagoon. sounds like a must see i hope to do that one day. but i have four other days to occupy 3 children. any goos suggustions on kids actities?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: will a passport be needed by July?

Just copy all of the following website in your address bar to visit the official site for SSB:

…about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm…

It's just 15 minutes from the Airport and 10 minutes drive from the infamous Hip Strip. Hopefully by the time you get there, they'll have the waterpark up and running. You can also take advantage of their Kid's Club that will keep the children entertained all day!

All the best and please let me know how it went when you get back!

Mentioned in this post
Hip Strip
Hip Strip
717 Reviews
Jamaica
Caribbean
Level Contributor
399 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: will a passport be needed by July?

Oh...forgot about the main issue here...as far as I know passports are not mandatory; you can travel on an original birth certificate (with raised seal) or naturalization certificate of citizenship along with a valid photo I.D. card (children can use school I.D). Keep in mind that all documents must have the same name.

Jamaica, WI
Level Contributor
395 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: will a passport be needed by July?

Bless:

The waterpark is up and running so your kids will be occupied for a while, and if they're anything like Jamaican kids who absolutely lllloooooooovvveeeeeee to EAT, they'll be quite contented when you hang out at the HIP STRIP! (The restaurants )

Irie :)

Mentioned in this post
Hip Strip
Hip Strip
717 Reviews
Jamaica
boston,mas
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: will a passport be needed by July?

you said the waterpark is up and running? from what i've heard

everyone on the forum say is that the waterpark won't be open until at least March. thanks for the info.

boston,mas
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: will a passport be needed by July?

thanks for the websites i am going to go to them right now and look up some info.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: will a passport be needed by July?

Hello Boston Traveller, Please keep in close contact with the airline carrier who will take you to Jamaica. They will give you the latest news and will not allow you to board the plane if necessary. There is an office for the affairs of Jamaica in Boston. It is called an embassy or a Consulate. Sorry I dont have the numbers but information will be happy to help you.

ENJOY!

P.S. Since you do have the time, I would go ahead and get passports for all the family. It is the best document that you can have and will serve you for 10 years. Each of my children have had passports from they were six months old and first started to travel. I have taught them that it is for their own benefit for th e rest of their lives. Now they each have dual passports. Jamaican and European. They can and do travel any and everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
boston,mas
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: will a passport be needed by July?

thanks JohnnyB. great to hear from you

HMP
Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: will a passport be needed by July?

The Jamaican Consulate's number in Boston is 617.266.8604. Hours are Tuesdays from 8am to 5pm.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
El Dorado, Arkansas
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: will a passport be needed by July?

My husband and I just applied for our passports. I have had the worst dreams where I get to the airport and they won't let me go to Jamaica. Better safe, then sorry, and it's good for 10 years. Now that we have an empty nest we plan on traveling much more.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
10,203 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: will a passport be needed by July?

Hello again HMP. Thanks for the details.

Boy you must be really excited.

Only 11 days left to be in paradise!