We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica Departure Tax

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Topic
Jamaica Departure Tax

How can you tell if your departure tax is included with your airline ticket. I thought it was last time - but I had to pay it before to leave. Thanks!

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaica Departure Tax

I thought all plane tickets were to divulge the departure tax info, or if you use a travel agent, they were to let you know.

The best insurance you can have if still in doubt once arriving in Jamaica, is to be sure you have a $1000J bill tucked in with your passport or travel documents.

You can pay in US dollars, but the last time I went through the airport (4 years ago) the departure tax was posted at $27US.

As of today, $1000J is the equivalent of $16.26US, so you save a bit using the local currency.

And if you've put back that $1000J bill, and then don't need it for the departure tax after all, you can always use it in one of the airport gift shops or food places while you're waiting to leave.

Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaica Departure Tax

Thanks - I called the airline and the tax portion is $82.06 per ticket but they can't tell me exactly what it's for.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaica Departure Tax

The tickets used to state on them what exactly was paid. What airline are you flying on? We flew USAir in June and I was positive the tax was included. Got to JA and several people kept talking about the tax not being included. I called the airline to verify and was told no ours wasn't included. Ended up getting to the airport and no one ever collected the tax from us so I assume it was included.

Can't wait to see what happens this time as we're flying Champion Air. I do find it odd that the price is quoted as 1000 Jamaican but it's $27 US.

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaica Departure Tax

Krim, actually I'm suprised the airport hasn't changed the prices in awhile now. I can't remember the exchange rate four years ago. I'm thinking it may have been in the 40/1 price range, but have no diaries or anything to refer to.

So few people would wind up at the airport on departure with Jamaican dollars, and people do travel here from other countries, that I suppose the US dollar is just looked at as the "universal money" that everyone would convert to, for some reason.

As the US dollar climbs, and the Jamaican dollar falls in comparison, when a price is posted in US dollars and does not change, it becomes more advantageous to use the Jamaican dollar. Last year in March, the exchange rate was 50-1...so people using the Jamaican dollar paid the equivalent of $20 rather than $27, saving some money.

Right now, using the Jamaican dollar saves even more. To some people, the $11 dollar difference (if having to pay departure tax) isn't much...but if a family of two or more all has to pay, this can really add up. Again, to some people, the savings are negligible. But to others, that $11 can pay for their meal inside the airport, or some drinks, or a last minute souvenir purchase, or just go back into their pocket to be spent somewhere once they reach their home country...

Welwyn Garden City...
Level Contributor
450 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaica Departure Tax

hi 10scgirl..

you will need to pay $18 us dollars when you are checking your luggage in and gettting your boarding tickets. it is never included in your tickets as far as i know. just leave it in ya passport so it is there when you leave... we only came back last wk and we paid the same amount last yr.. hope this helps..

toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaica Departure Tax

We just arrived back from MoBay last week also and never had to pay the departure tax. WE have never had to in all six trips. Also curious as to why its stated to be prepared for it but never had to. Goodluck solving this mystery.

toronto
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaica Departure Tax

We just arrived back from MoBay last week also and never had to pay the departure tax. WE have never had to in all six trips. Also curious as to why its stated to be prepared for it but never had to. Goodluck solving this mystery.

Level Contributor
255 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaica Departure Tax

Hi,

Which airline did you fly? Thanks!

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaica Departure Tax

I flew US air this year and paid no tax either way.

southern, illinois
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaica Departure Tax

Usually, if you buy a package the tax is included , if in dougt call your package company, airline or travel agent, they will be able to help