We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montego bay-Negril

mw4
united kingdom
3 posts
Save Topic
Montego bay-Negril

HI, Am off to montego bay for my 1st time in 2 months. I need to get a taxi from montego bay-negril, just wandering if anyone knows roughly how much it would cost? Also i'm staying at the wyndham rose all inclusive, does all inclusive include soft drinks? Thanks mark

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montego bay-Negril

mark,

Yes most ai's include softdrinks. Many possible taxis are listed on the honest contacts forum. Price could range from 1,000 JA-3,000 JA depending on the taxi. Or you could take a bus route taxi for far less, however it is quite a cramped uncomfortable ride and you'd probably have to switch buses in Lucea as I don't know if there is a direct route taxi from Mo Bay to Negril.

long island, ny
Level Contributor
613 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montego bay-Negril

Yes almost all All inclusives include soft-drinks as well as liquor.

If you want to consider flying to negril, it is a 15-20 minute flight. The cost is approx $ 60.00ppusd

Englefield Green...
Level Contributor
167 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montego bay-Negril

I expect published fares for a taxi to Negril would be $80 from the Wyndham. We found it easy to get a taxi for $60 from MoBay...but I am impressed with Jamerican getting it for J$1000 - J$3000!!

All day hire if you want to come back is only a few dollars more ($80 in place of $60)

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Montego bay-Negril

Tim Air flights = one way MoBay to Negril, $72 each for two people. If traveling alone they'll try to find someone else to fly with, otherwise you must pay the full amount of $144 ($72 x 2)

Intl. Air Link = $60 each for three or more. No idea what the price is for two.

Both have websites.

I too am impressed with a driver willing to drive from MoBay to Negril for $1000 (and then back to MoBay where he started from.) That driver is spending three hours of driving time (add on additional time for the hour's wait for the person to come out of Customs and Immigration if the ride is set up ahead of time) for the price of gas, and nothing more....$3000J is possible with a free lance driver...after gas he would have roughly $30 in his pocket. Depending on the time of the airport pickup, drive to Negril, and return to MoBay, he might be able to pick up some work before or after the airport run to supplement the airport work.

You might want to look through the "Honest Contacts" thread that has been posted on the site and give some of the MoBay drivers a call and start narrowing down your choices.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montego bay-Negril

$1000 Ja may be a hard price to get now as gas prices have soared everywhere recently, I have got that before although it was a couple of years ago. I do have good friends there so I may get a little better price than most tourists. Don't let TOTT fool you $3000 is more than enough to get a good taxi from MoBay to Negril (Its only an hour drive), you just have to negotiate. The route taxi from Macfield to Mo Bay is only $100 JA and that is about a 45 minute drive while Negril is an hour. Granted route taxis are crammed full but that shows you what you could go for if price is your main rationale.

Negril, Jamaica
Level Contributor
836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Montego bay-Negril

Jamerican, my intention is never to "fool" anyone, believe me. For first timers here, the distinction between route taxi, independent operator at the airport or across from hotels or on the street will need to be explained to people vs a charter private ride contacted ahead of time or through a hotel tour desk.

Also, for people interested in route taxis frin MoBay, perhaps you could give them the idea of the car park situation in Lucea or Sav (depending on their route of choice) and how to make the connecting switch to a Negril bound taxi. Also, the car park situation in Negril for their destination to either the west end or the beach road depending on their hotels location.

Route taxi fares just went up last month, I know the price in Negril but not the other routes anymore.

The fares were NOT to go up for anywhere other than the urban Kingston area, but since information was not only misinterpreted by route fare drivers, and NOT corrected by the Transport Authority, route fare hikes are now in place all over the island. My hope is they won't go up again in January as they always do.

I went round and round with Mr. Atkinson of the MoBay branch of the Transport Authority about a month ago when the fares were a virtual free-for all-here. Bear in mind this is the "head man" at the office. He actually had me not only check his math calculations but wanted me to calculate half the Negril to anywhere rates. I told him I'd be happy to do so if I had an official pass that would guarantee me free passage for life as I was now "working" for him and the Transport Authority.

Needless to say, he went into a coughing fit and replied he'd get back to me, I'm still waiting. :)

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montego bay-Negril

Hi, Jamerican - wow wow wow is all I can say about your pricing. I have NEVER been so lucky ever! I am a research freak and drive people nuts with my communications before my trips. I know how to get a bargain and never seen the prices you are speaking of. In fact the people I meet along the way have ALWAYS paid more than myself.

IMHO you should expect to pay $60-$100.00 for MoBay to Negril. Anything under that unless it's Juta bus - that does go directly to Negril and doesn't change in Lucea - is a steal.

I respect your opinion but feel it's not realistic to those who do not have family or personal connections on the island.

I am happy for you to have got such great deals but I strongly feel that is not what the average traveller can expect.

It's highly doubtful that TOTTT is misleading anyone or they would not have the exceptional reputation they have.

Just MHO. ONE LOVE

Weymouth...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montego bay-Negril

I typically pay $15 each way ($30 round trip) in a shared taxi.. I negotiate my price before I step foot on the island.. and have no problem making a few stops along the way to my hotel.. Once I step foot on the island I am in no rush.. I will get there soon come.. And enjot chatting with newbies on the ride to the hotels.. Go to:

www.negril.com to thier transportation section.. Email all the different companies and get prices from them.. The increase went into effect after my last visit so it may have gone up slightly.. But I wouldn't pay $50pp each way.. But then again I have no care for a 'private taxi.. But I am not up for a route taxi either, with all my stuff.. Good Luck!!

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montego bay-Negril

Hi Mel, For real girl? Can you explain what a shared taxi is? Do you have to find the others to share it with? This is a private car? I'm lost. Hope you can help. Thanks ONE LOVE.

Weymouth...
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montego bay-Negril

But of course I can help.. I emailed a few places before hand, Juta, Dudley's Big ship tours, etc.. Agree on a price, my lowest price I get I email back to the other companies asking to beat it.. or at least match it.. They usually match it.. I get the price for round trip.. I give them my flight time and # and they are there are the airport waiting for me.. Typically they tell me where to wait as well.. Usually outside of margaritaville, downstairs at the cab port.. And out of no where a guy will come up and say "Melissa, Chris" lol.. How did you know.??? Hmmm.. Anyway, we grab a red stripe and wait about 15-20 mins for more passengers to come along and off we go to Negril.. Last time there was only one other couple that went to Beaches.. NBD.. So I don't have to arrange for people to come with, they have them already.. And for the price why not.. Like I said it's nice to talk to the newbies. Give them advice on where to go and what to see.. Clean van with AC.. Can't go wrong.. It's more expensive than route taxi, but more comfortable.. And I don't have to get out at the car parks and grab another.. Ya route taxi may be about $5-6 one way, but I like the van.. I don't care how I get there as long as I get there.. And that leaves us more $$ to spend on other things.. Like more red stripes.. Paying $50pp one way would make me ill.. Oh and the driver grabs our info for our flight back.. He arrived on time, no problems.. We had 2 hotel stops before we were on our way, this time bigger bus usually. And drove really fast.. LOL.. No stops on the way back.. And of course we always tip.. Good Luck!!!!