We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about SSB

Akron, OH
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Questions about SSB

A couple questions - The websites say that this is adjacent to a marine park. What is that like - what is there to do there? Does anyone know how/if they divide the kids up into age groups in the kids' club? Obviously, they don't keep the 2 year olds with the 12 year olds, but do they have pre-determined divisions for age groups? My boys are 6 and 8 and I would prefer that they be kept together for their vacation activities. Lastly, how is the spa? The prices look reasonable (at least compared to cruises and other resorts). Any experiences out there? Thanks a bunch.

Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about SSB

Hi Taco,

I visited SSB this past June and we had a great time. As for the marine park, it was supposed to be done earlier this year but when I went in June it was nowhere near being done. I would say next year is more like it. I did have my 12 year old twins with me but they didn't participate in the kids club activities. They spent most of their time in the pool and participating in other beach activities. I didn't see any children under my children age group. Not to say there weren't any but I didn't notice any children at the kids club. You stated that your boys are 6 and 8. Trust me they will still have a lot of fun. We barely saw our children; they were all around the resort. We mostly chose this place because of the water park. We were a little upset that it wasn't finished but we still enjoyed ourselves. In all I believe you and your boys will have a great time. SSB is great for the price.

Enjoy your trip.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about SSB

The WATER park is not yet completed but should be done anywhere from 2 weeks to January depending on what you hear and who you believe.

The MARINE park/preserve is just off the beach and has coral/reef/seaweed/fishes to look at as you snorkel off the resort's beach. The benefit is that no boaters are allowed in the area and don't bother you when you are relaxing.

The downside is that they can't/won't groom the water areas as some resorts do to minimize the urchins, shells, etc. These things sometimes can be a problem, other times not. When we were there in May there were a lot of urchins and you had to watch where you stepped or get a foot full of painful spikes. You may want to take water shoes just to be careful.

Didn't take the kids, so I can't help you there.

It's a great resort for the money and we are repeat customers. Just be aware that the beach area wasn't the best. It was passable though.

Akron, OH
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about SSB

Thanks for the info. Anyone know anything about the spa services - reasonably priced, etc.?? Also, do they have massages on the beach?

Englefield Green...
Level Contributor
167 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about SSB

I was in SSB last night and damn I forgot to check the sap prices for you...sorry. I can say that massages are available on the beach at the front of the CO section...I believe it is $1 per min with $10 min.

Not sure when you are going but I have never seen SSB as empty as it was last week - it is definitely the lowest part of the season, so expect good deals roght now.

ALso, the Waterpark is not yet open but is complete and was being tested. They expect 2 weeks.

Akron, OH
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about SSB

Rubikon - thanks. I'm going over Thanksgiving week, so probably will be a little more crowded. But, if the waterpark is being "tested" that's great news. Thanks.

Latrobe...
Level Contributor
367 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about SSB

We'll also be there over Thanksgiving weekend. I'd like to see the waterpark finished but if it is, great; if not, I can certainly occupy myself in other ways.

taco22: We were in Akron a few weeks ago for a graduation and stayed at the Quaker Square. I have to say that those rooms were much nicer than at SSB! However, we liked SSB so much last Thanksgiving weekend, we decided to stay much longer this year. Maybe we'll run into each other.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about SSB

Hello taco22,

This hotel has a lot of activites that will keep your boys very busy the entire time.

There is a Water Park under construction at the hotel but this is being completed on a Jamaican time schedule. "soon come, mon".

The Marine Park that you refer to is a completely different issue. Please read all the interesting facts on this link.

http://www.mbmp.org/where.htm

Here is an adventure that your boys will love to take part in. Make advanced reservations as that time of year will be busy.

Montego Bay Underseas Tours.

The "Coral See" looks a bit like a submarine but it is really a boat with an airconditioned underwater viewing compartment six feet under the surface where you can sit in comfort and watch the wonders of the Montego Bay Marine Park. Coral, hundreds of different fish, turtles, and sting rays are all displayed for your enjoyment. TEL. 876 -940-4465.

This is next door to this nightclub that opens each morning for childen to play on their water slides. See the photographs.

margaritavillecaribbean.com/locations_monteg…

And finally, for a nice entertaining and romantic setting with excellent delicious food, I suggest that you enjoy an evening at this place. Next to your hotel.

montego-bay-jamaica.com/houseboat/index.html

p.s. here are some pics for you to enjoy.

community.webshots.com/album/302908062aVhTlv

Have fun!

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about SSB

Hello again taco22,

Is the stadium(arena) inbetween Akron and Cleveland still holding the games played with the Caveliers.

I enjoyed several events including a Phil Collins and later on a Neil Diamond concert as well as seing the Cavs in action.

Akron, OH
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about SSB

JohnnyBGood - Thanks for all the info. The arena you speak of is (was) the Richfield Coliseum, which was located about 5 miles from my current home - between Akron and Cleveland. It has been demolished. The Cavs now play in Gund Arena (soon to be Quicken Books or something like that) Arena - it is located in downtown Cleveland literally right next door to Jacobs Field - where the Cleveland Indians play baseball.

Calabasas
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about SSB

We are considering this hotel for Thanksgiving week. Waiting to hear more about the waterpark. This will be our first trip and we only have 4 nights so want to make sure we make the best choice. Can anyone copare Sunset Beach to Starfish Trelawny or the Wyndham. Specifically rooms, activities for kids 12-13 ages and the beach. I worry about being disappointed in the rooms even though not a lot of time is spent there, we are a little spoiled. Also, the pool/waterslides will be more important to our daughter but my husband and I will want to be able to look at an awesome colored beach with soft white sand. I would like a great deal of course but would spend more to find everything we want. With only 4 nights, I was looking at only Montego Bay so we did not spend too much additional time traveling to the hotel but am open to suggestions.

Anyone going to be there with 12 or 13 year old girls Thanksgiving?

Thanks for your help.