We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distances and Costs for Daytrips from Sunset Beach Resort...

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Distances and Costs for Daytrips from Sunset Beach Resort...

We are travelling to Jamaica, staying at SunSet Beach Resort, in late February, and have been looking at several websites for ideas of places to go and things to do. The list below is what we figured we would like to see. Can anyone tell me the cost, of each of these destinations including travel and admission as well as the distance from the resort to each spot,

PLEASE, DO NOT REPLY TO THIS WITH A LIST OF OTHER WEBSITES FOR ME TO LOOK AT. I JUST WOULD LIKE TO KNOW COSTS AND DISTANCES IF ANYONE KNOWS.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us, Stephen.

WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE

Rocklands Bird Sanctuary

Manatees-Alligator Hole

ROSE HALL

MoBay Undersea Tour

LUMINOUS LAGOON

CHARLES SWABY���S SWAMP SAFARI

and anywhere near the resort we can go horseback riding?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Distances and Costs for Daytrips from Sunset Beach Resort...

Thanks for the updated prices HMC, much appreciated. They say SSB does not allow tipping but I would feel cheap not offering something for the great service I keep hearing about. Did you tip at all? Should you just be discreet about it? I don't want to get the staff in trouble but don't want to seem stingy. How is the water park coming? is it part of the resort or just beside it? And when in the Dominican Republic a couple years ago we loved dickering with people selling souvenirs and crafts in booths on the beach. Anything like that at SSB? Thanks, Stephen.

HMC
Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Distances and Costs for Daytrips from Sunset Beach Resort...

Hello!

All of these tours are not a part of SSB. So tipping is much appreciated by tour guides and taxi drivers.

As for tipping on the resort, we don't drink so we didn't get to know any of the bartenders that well. ( and didn't tip ) I would suggest bringing a mug from home if you have room. They use little 6 ounce plastic cups for beverages, and they go quickly! This is for both alcohol and non-alcohol beverages.

The waterpark is still a ways from being done, so if your trip is 'soon come' I wouldn't count on it. It looks as if it will be a nice addition once it is done. They did make a bit of headway during our stay, but there is a way to go..

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Distances and Costs for Daytrips from Sunset Beach Resort...

HMC, we don't drink either so I don't imagine we will get to know the bartenders all that well either. There should be 2 all-inclusive prices for drinkers and non-drinkers don't ya think? They save a lot of money dealing with US TEA (Pepsi) TOTALERS. Does this resort make you weat the wrist bracelets?

HMC
Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Distances and Costs for Daytrips from Sunset Beach Resort...

NovaScotia..

That would be a grand idea :) We really like the all inclusive, but the drinks mean nothing. It doesn't really represent a big cost savings, but that isn't enough to make us drink either. LOL.

No bracelets are required there.

The beaches are nice and the water magnificent. In fact, the sea was warmer than the pools. The pools were nice once you got used to them.

The room we had in the tower had a wonderful view of the mountains, the harbor and the sea.

A big mug for water, Coke, Sprite, Orange Fanta, Ginger Ale or Diet Coke is a smart pack. Or they have them for sale in the gift shop.

The River Tubing tour offered by Chukka Blue is a pretty good one, a mile and a half down the river. It lasts about an hour and a half and goes through the jungle. Very neat. This one is 55.00 per person and has a tour guide that will tell you about the jungles birds, plants and trees as you go along. If you are interested Chukka Blue offers horseback riding, a jungle safari and a canopy tour too. We just tubed.

Any of these tours can be set up at the guest service desk when you are there..

Hope this helps..

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Distances and Costs for Daytrips from Sunset Beach Resort...

HMC, and the rest of those who gave usefull advice and information, Thanks for all the hints and help along the way. It sounds like Jamaica, and SSB was a good choise for this years trip. any other suggestions will be welcomed, We can't wait, 7 weeks to go..... Stephen.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Distances and Costs for Daytrips from Sunset Beach Resort...

Hi again Stephen,

I would say a reasonable and fair price for both you and your driver would be about $160US for one 5 hour day and one 7 hour day ($15 per hour). You could likely do it all a little quicker, but you don't want to be rushed. You could get it cheaper, however if you get a good driver ( which I always seem to do ;) .. ) you can count on him to be incredibly knowledgeable/helpful/friendly/flexible/patient and reliable and you will likely even want to give him a little extra. The cost of fuel and auto maintenance in Jamaica is very high. I always make a point to buy him a drink or food if we stop as well.

BRING LOTS OF FILM !!! These will be some TRULY memorable moments you will cherish.

Blessings and respect to you and yours.

Happy New Year.

Steve

HMC
Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Distances and Costs for Daytrips from Sunset Beach Resort...

You're welcome!

Enjoy your trip :) We did!

Staten Island, NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Distances and Costs for Daytrips from Sunset Beach Resort...

Luminous lagoon is a must see-its an amazing site-it was worth the $30 It took about an hour to get there and back to SSB on a Friday night. There aren���t alot of reservations made for this tour, our reservation was postponed twice! Bring a bottle to take some water back in.