We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

los angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

Will my iPhone work in Jamaica? What about a Blackberry?

I know it's a vacation but I'll miss it if I don't have it! :)

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

It's not the phone that decides, but the carrier. Speak w/ your wireless phone provider to see if you will have service in jJmaica. My cousin uses an Iphone, and she lives in Jamaica and there are friends that use blackberrys there. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Dover, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

I have the LG ENv and all i had to do is switch it to international...but its still 1.99 a minute to talk, but i think internet is still free on the phone!!

Oy

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

I'm guessing you have AT&T (previously Cingular) if you have the iPhone. The iPhone is a quad-band GSM phone, so it will definitely work in Jamaica. You won't get any 3G or Edge data speeds, but regular old (slow) GPRS data should work. You would need to call up AT&T and have them enable international roaming so they don't block the phone in Jamaica. You'll pay $1.99/minute voice, $.0195/KB data and $.50 for a text message using AT&T. That's pretty high, but since you probably didn't pay full price for the phone, I doubt AT&T (or whoever you're using) is going to unlock the phone for use with a Jamaican SIM card yet.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
los angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

Thanks a lot for the info--the rates are kinda high but I just like the idea that if I had to make/receive a call, I could. That is good advice to call AT & T --I'll do that. Thanks again!!'

P.S. Were you able to charge the iPhone in Jamaica okay?

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Lewisburg, WV
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

We have AT&T and we had great service in the Montego Bay area. I couldn't send MMS messages, but I could send and receive regular texts and emails. I never tried accessing the internet while we were there from my PDA.

The cost is $1.99 per minute for calls, $0.50 per outgoing text and regular rate for incoming texts (I think $0.05).

We charged our phone every evening, and it held the charge all day long. However, we weren't using it like we would normally at home. So our phones got a little vacation too. LOL

Mentioned in this post
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

Michelle,

So basically yes, your cell phone will charge in Jamaica. They use the same outlets as the US. The supply is 110v / 50Hz where the US is 120v / 60Hz, but for most appliances or adapters that won't matter (for the short term).

If you take your phone and aren't expecting any urgent incoming calls, I'd recommend leaving it in "airplane mode". You can still use all of the entertainment features, it just keeps it from receiving a call until you put it back into normal mode. Everytime your phone rings, even if you don't answer it, you'll be charged at least $1.99.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
los angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

I feel much better now knowing that I will be able to send and receive calls in Jamaica. Thanks a lot for the rate info-- I guess I won't be having any extended phone calls! Mr Feeto--that is good advice about setting the phone to airplane mode--thank you and to everyone else!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Atlanta
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

Hi,

Yes..your phone will work. I have ATT and I use a Blackberry.

Like Mr. Feeto stated..you may want to turn it off because you will get charged even if you don't answer your calls. I called ATT before I went and they said the same thing.

When I did turn on my BB, it picked up some digitel service and I quickly turned it off. lol

los angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

That is great--now we can take both the iPhone and the Blackberry!! Thanks for the replies!!

Just to make sure I understand, for the iPhone I can either leave it in airplane mode (can still use the entertainment features) or just turn it off, but either way it will still keep me for being charged for (potentially unwanted!) incoming calls?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iPhone--does it work in Jamaica?

Correct