We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

I need some advice on which of these 3 is the best place to stay and play? Looking for all-inclusive with good food, drinks and fun. My wife and I are going in September and would like to enjoy ourselves and party. I have read that Margaritaville is a good place to go in Montego Bay, but which of these resorts has a good nightclub for partying? Any and all responses are greatly welcomed! Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

I stayed a the Royal Decameron from June 25th-July 2nd, 2005 and I loved it. The night club on the resort isn't the biggest, but when the hotel guests actually attended, we had a blast! And the animators are always there. On the bright side, Margaritaville is right down the street from Decameron.

Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

Hello,

We just got back from the Wyndham a couple of weeks ago. The property is just beautiful, the staff is wonderful and the rooms are comfortable. I can't say enough good things about it. I think the Wyndham caters mostly to couples and families. Things are very family oriented and there are a lot of children there. The kids have a blast. There is not much of a "party" atmosphere though. There is a disco type place, the Cricket - If I remember correctly - but it was younger kids and not much of a party atmosphere.

There is live entertainment in the evenings out by the Terrace and they usually quit playing about 10:30 - 11:00. There is also a bar where there is piano music from time to time once the live entertainment has stopped.

The hotel offers free shuttles nightly that take you free of charge to Mararittaville, (sorry about the spelling) - and they take you and return you back to the hotel on the hour, bus leaves at 9:00, 10:00 and 11:00 and then it will start bringing you back at 11:00, 12:00, 1:00 and 2:00. The opportunity is there to leave the property to go have a good time and party if you decide to - but there isn't much of that at the hotel.

Like I said - the hotel is great - I had no complaints, and I plan to stay there again next year when I bring my 13 year old daughter - but for couples wanting to party or singles - you might want something more upbeat.

This hotel does have a great pool, a lazy river for tubing that is a lot of fun and an average beach - water isn't the greatest, and the beach is not real big - but it was still very nice. Plenty of chairs/shade and places to be. I hope this helps.

Susan

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

I also just returned from the Royal Decameron Montego Bay. The resort was very nice, but I preferred Negril. There are always different free beach parties every night and different clubs have different promotions each day. Some even offer free transportation to/from your resort.

When you leave the property in MB, they ask for your name/room number to ensure that everyone returns. They also send staff members to look after you when you go to clubs.

The food, service, etc. was good at the Decameron, but they have a small disco, about the size of 4 cubicles in an office.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

Sandman,

I am really not fond of staying right in the Mobay "busy area" which is where Royal D is, and Sunset Beach is not far either, just out on the penninsula... The Wyndham however, is imho first a MUCH nicer resort than either RDMB or SSB and it is a very comfortable 4-5 miles out of town in the quiet countryside, which in my opinion (and I think Mjo agrees) makes a HUGE difference in the "vibe" of your vacation...

The best food will be at Wyndham, as will the best facilities and service. SSB is geared towards families, RDMB is somewhat of a "party resort" but would not be one of my recommendations.

Royal Decameron RUNAWAY BAY, although quite basic and moderate with a so-so beach is an EXCELLENT choice on the other hand...

MJo, I know you were not fond of Mobay much at all, and I completely understand why. I was thinking that you definately should look at one of the following locations for your next trip to Jamaica...

Treasure Beach, Port Antonio, Runaway Bay or even Trelawny Beach.

I think you would LOVE the laid back friendly atmoshpere in these areas as they are SOOOO different than Mobay or even Negril !!

Just a thought.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

Thanks, Steve, but my Travel Agent didn't even recommend Runaway Bay or Ocho Rios to me. She said the ride is terrible. I was originally considering the Royal Decameron Club, but she advised me to go to Negril. I have to say that Negril was a wonderful experience.

I also have friends who went on cruises to Ocho Rios, and they didn't care for it much either.

I was also looking into renting a villa for the family, but I'm so glad we didn't end up doing that.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

Jamaicasteve, Sunsan60 and MJo thanks for the info.

I think I will book the Wyndham Rose Hall and catch a cab into Montego Bay(Hip Strip). I will be in Montego Bay for 3 days and then go to Ocho Rios (Sans Souci) for 4 Nights. Have any of you ever stayed at the Sans Souci Resort. I will be there from Sept 6-10 and get a chance to be at the Beach Party on Tuesday night and the Gala on Friday night. I understand that it is not currently Lobster season. When does Lobster season open up again in Jamaica? Also, besides Dunns River Falls and shopping, what are some other trips or things to see & do in Ocho Rios? Again, thanks!!

Sandman88

MJo
Spring Grove, IL
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

I've never been to San Souci, but it's supposed to be very nice.

Enjoy!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

I have seen a lot of bad reviews lately about the Wyndham Rose Hall and the Sunset Beach Resort. Does anyone have any recommendations about the RDMB or other resorts for a 2-night stay in Montego Bay Area? Or, would anyone recommend the Sunset Jamaica Grande in Ocho Rios for early September?

I will be there Sunday, Sept. 4 - Tuesday, Sept 6. Also, does anyone know if the Wyndham, RDMB, Sunset Beach Resort or Sunset Jamaica Grande have themed Party nights on Sunday or Monday nights?

Thanks,

Sandman88

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

Hello sandman88,

The Royal DeC is four minutes drive from the airport. Wyndham and Sunset are a 15 minute ride in the oposite directions.

Ocho Rios hotels can take you three hours each way. Use your two days wisely. Stay close to the airport and enjoy the nightlife in and around the Royal DeC.

Have fun!

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Decameron,Wyndham Rose Hall or Sunset Beach Resort???

Hi again Sandman,

although, the Sunset Grande is only a few minutes away from Sans Souci where you'll be, I don't think you should do the two nights there.

I don't recommend RDMB. The Wyndham is a MUCH nicer resort all around, with MUCH more facilities and a MUCH nicer location. There is also at least a decent beach at Wyndham.

Wyndham isn't quite as nice as Sans Souci, but it's a far cry above RDMB.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve