We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

Gwynedd, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

Its only 5 weeks before we return to Jamaica and disaster has struck. Our holiday plans which we made 5 months ago are in ruins. This morning I received a telephone from my travel agent telling me that we could not take our holiday to Jamaica as the airline had failed to book us on the flight. We were due tofly from Manchester to Montego Bay on July 25 with My Travel Airways for two weeks at Sandals Montego Bay. However, even though we booked this on Feb 4 My Travel have not reserved our seats and now the plane is fully booked.

These are the facts.

1. We cannot get another flight

2. We cannot go on other days as my wife is a teacher (so we cannot travel any earlier due to term times) and I cannot book my holiday leave any later as other staff are on leave.

3. Sandals Montego Bay is our choice, great location, great people, great diving and dive team, great food, marlin fishing, wonderful country, great facilities, plus we went last year.

4. We dont want to go anywhere else.

I've been offered a full refund (great option - NOT - try booking a holiday with just 5 weeks notice) or alternative destinations (Sandals Cuba (we went 2 years ago) or Sandals Halcyon Beach St Lucia which we dont want as we want Jamaica.

This is what I'm left with

1. Prospect of no holiday - No fault of my own

2. Destinations we don't want - No fault of my own

3. A wife quite rightly very upset and in tears - No fault of my own

4. 5 months of planning now down the drain - No fault of my own

5. Nowhere to celebrate our wedding aniversary. - No fault of my own

6. Threat of physical and mental exhaustion as we wont get a holiday - No fault of my own

7. Stress - No fault of my own

8. No options - No fault of my own

I want some answers as why this can happen. Has anyone else suffered this fate recently, can you offer any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
5,746 Reviews
Jamaica
wisconsin
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

I have never had this happen. But I just wanted to say how sorry I am for you. I would be in tears also. If I were you I would consider going some place else, just to get a holiday. But I know how upset you should be. I wouldnt go to that travel agent ever again.

Gwynedd, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

The travel agent has informed me that its the airlines fault that they havent booked our seats!!??? How can this happen when i booked nearly 5 months ago and why has it taken this long, when i've paid for the holiday in full, for someone to notice???

Gwynedd, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

We just dont want to go elsewhere. We have been looking forward to our return to Sandals Montego Bay since we came back from there in August last year

Mentioned in this post
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
5,746 Reviews
Jamaica
Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Never had one quite that bad, but close. I can only think of 2 options.

1. There is NO other flight those days? None at all, maybe not direct, but could you take a connecting flight?

2. Pick Sandals Halcyon. I think you will enjoy it, we were there in October. If you like Jamaica, you will like St. Lucia also. Very similar in people, attitude and activities. Halcyon is a smaller, romantic resort with transportation provided to the other 2 Sandals.

Do yourself a favor and research Halcyon a little, I think you will find it may not be EXACTLY what you want, but I think it will fit your needs.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Mattituck, NY
Level Contributor
850 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

Why not try to get a flight to the US and then move on to Jamaica. Flights to JA from NYC are always available in the summertime.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
wisconsin
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

I think its a little odd also. I dont know if it is the airlines fault though. I mean come on, you booked 5 MONTHS in advance. Thats a long time. I dont believe that there are NO other flights. I know there are a lot of flights going to the US, Atlanta Ga, then to Montego Bay. I would try to do a little research on my own. And if you really cant find anything, you may want to try St. Lucia, I hear its really nice there too. You still want a holiday, dont you? I know I would.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
271 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

The Agent may be passing the blame to the airline to cover their tush.

Call them up and ask them if they have Errors and Omissions Insurance Coverage and see how they respond.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,393 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

I'd be giving that travel agent heck right now, it's his/her responsibility to make sure the airline has you booked. If you had booked directly with the airline wouldn't you have checked to be sure the reservation was made, you had seats assigned, etc?

Why can't you get another flight? I can't imagine Jamaica in summertime is totally booked up, but I don't like in the UK so who knows....

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
UK
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

Sorry to hear your story, check out the Playa del Carmen forum and maybe others (type Airtours into the search) Looks like they are quite happy to spoil our holiday arrangements.

grand rapids
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jamaica Holiday Cancelled - Gutted Gutted Gutted Gutted

I feel for you. We recently booked a trip for 11 nights from 7.31 thru 8.11.05 thru cheapcaribbean.com which we have to cancel for other personal reasons. So right now there are no other "alternative" trips that I want to go on other than the trip to Jamaica which WE have to cancel w/o a full refund. Have you ever gone on line and booked a vacation? At cheapcaribbean.com you can book a complete package w/o travel agent. They have a lot of open dates and it gives you all the hotels in Jamaica based on the city you want to stay in. So if you choose Montego Bay, it will give you all the hotels from 5star to 2 star. It maybe worth a try if you still want to get your holiday vacation on the island.

Good Luck

Peace

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean