We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

NJ
Level Contributor
206 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

I keep hearing people mention these, but can't really figure out what they are. I thought Doctor's Cave was just a public beach area, but read somewhere about admission charge?? And is the hip strip just a cool shopping area?

Thanks,

Angie

Mentioned in this post
Doctor's Cave Beach
Doctor's Cave Beach
2,015 Reviews
Jamaica
Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

I haven't been there yet, but from what I've read, Doctors Cave is a very nice beach. They charge $5.00 per person to access the beach. It sounds like it's a good place to snorkel or just lay out in the sun. The Sea Trek tour and probably other water tours start from there too.

The only thing I know about the "hip strip" is it is a stretch of shops, eateries etc on a main drag in Montego Bay. It's supposed to be walking distance from both RDMB and Sandals Inn. I think Margaretaville is there too. I'm sure others will post with more detailed info than this :)

Mentioned in this post
Downingtown...
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

That about sums it up. Doctor's cave is a beach that is charged admission for.

The hip strip is shops and clubs in the heart of Mobay. Yes Margaritiville is there as well.

Mentioned in this post
Doctor's Cave Beach
Doctor's Cave Beach
2,015 Reviews
Jamaica
Joliet, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

Yes, these responses are correct. A few additional comments... if you are looking for good snorkeling, doctors cave might be ok, but the real good snorkeling is at Sunset Beach resort. You can probably go there for the day and snorkel. It is on its own private penninsula and has a protected reef right off of it. Swim out a few hundred feet and you will be in some awesome stuff!

With regards to the hip strip, it is the best place to do your shopping. Most resorts have little shops in them, but they are way over priced. Go to the hip strip and bargain with the store owners. They will always work on prices with you. If you buy most of your stuff in one store, they will give you better prices. Also, if you pay cash they give better prices. "Strawberries" is a store I recommend. I was there in May and did all my shopping in this one place.

Also, beware of the craft market right behind the strip. It is easy to get sucked in and pressured to buy. They will all want you to come look at their stuff and are very persistant. Just a polite "no thank you" and keep on walking.

I hope this helps. Irie!!!

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

Doctor's Cave Beach is nice. The admission fee is correct. The boats there that take you out snorkeling can take you anywhere to snorkel. The beach there is also a little nicer than Sunset Beach's. Its probably the best beach area in the tourist Mo Bay area.

The Hip Strip is basically where all the tourist stuff happens in Mo Bay. Margarittaville, The Bobsled Cafe, Coral Cliffs Gaming lounge/bar, as well as several other bars are here. There are a lot of shops but actually you'd have a better shot at buying authentic stuff at the craft market you were told to avoid. The local style is a little different than what many Americans are used to but just remember everything is negotiable in regards to price. The best shopping is actually downtown but that might not be the best place to go right now.

The best high end shopping is out at Half Moon Resort.

Enjoy Mo Bay

Mentioned in this post
Doctor's Cave Beach
Doctor's Cave Beach
2,015 Reviews
Jamaica
Hip Strip
Hip Strip
738 Reviews
Jamaica
Atlanta
Level Contributor
134 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

Is the "hip strip" withing walking distance from Iberostar Rose Hall?

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Iberostar Rose Hall...
4,763 Reviews
Jamaica
Long Island
Level Contributor
943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

>> The best shopping is actually downtown but that

>> might not be the best place to go right now.

I haven't been watching the news...... why is it not a good time to be downtown?

SAULT SAINTE MARIE
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

Is the "Hip Strip" within walking distance to Sandals Royal Caribbean???

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

Not even close to Iberostar Rosehall. Not sure where the other is located.

Phil,

I'll send you a PM.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

I am also curious as to why it's not good to be downtown MoBay right now...

Runaway Bay, Jamaica
Level Contributor
3,681 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the hip strip? What's Doctor's Cave?

Craz... nice bikini