We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach at holiday inn slimmy?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Topic
beach at holiday inn slimmy?

hey guys...

I just read a review for the holiday inn. they said that the walk from the beach to the island was horrible, that the sand was BLACK and slimmy! Is this true? They also said that the staff would not only demand tips, but tell you how much to tip them. Is that true? I am getting so discouraged. :( I want to tip out of love not force

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: beach at holiday inn slimmy?

Tips - Never once had a person there ask for a tip, even had a maid return a tip to me, wasn't sure if I left it for her or if I just left money out in my room.

Beach - Yes and No. There are spots where the sand is Black. It is some kind of sediment leftover from where they cut out the reef to make a beach. They try to dredge it and pump it back out to sea, but it is a never ending battle from what I was told. Slimy? - hmmm..not really. It is a strange consistency, that black sand is SUPER fine. Actually first time I walked into it, I thought I stepped in quicksand. Foot kept sinking and got stuck. There are spots by the reef wher it is slimy, but it is not the sand. They were probably walking on the leaves of a sea plant. They ARE slimy if you walk on them, kind of like walking on sea weed.

Dont be discouraged, just go with the flow and have a great time. Dont let the little things bother you, enjoy the good things.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach at holiday inn slimmy?

Greetings to both of you.

Keep in mind Rn, that it will not be the ENTIRE beach that is the black "sticky" sand (as I sometimes call it) it is only in some areas. They have it at the Royal Decameron also.

Have an AWESOME vacation.

Blessings and respect to you.

Steve

New Jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: beach at holiday inn slimmy?

Reggae,

Thanks for answering. I have just dreamed of clear beautiful water. Is it clear? And the tipping thing, you sure made me feel alot better. Wonder why people posts such things.

much love!

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: beach at holiday inn slimmy?

The water is fairly clear. When we were there in Feb, it was pretty windy, so the sea had ripples on the surface. That stirs up the sand and gives the water a foggy appearance when snorkeling and such. Even when foggy, visibilty was still 6-8 feet.

Blue - certainly. And green , and turquoise. depends on the depth of water.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: beach at holiday inn slimmy?

Thanks reggae!!!!!!!!!!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: beach at holiday inn slimmy?

Hey jamaicasteve!

Thanks for the info, 3 more weeks!!!!!!!!! I can't wait!

God Bless and much love

Too Far North
Level Contributor
324 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beach at holiday inn slimmy?

Mot sure about the people who posted about tips being demanded but in places they do, not necessarily at Holiday Inn but the drivers, the guides at Dunns River falls and some other places, they can be forceful. In fact some people will not tip because they feel it is a demand. Ladies in the restrooms, expect a tip at some places, they are there to watch the area and hand u a towel. But their way of making a living.

Just tip what u feel like they should get and don't be pressured into giving money. I have been on great, safe, Juta bus rides from MoBay to Negril, with others who were staying at the "Better hotels" than me and am surprised to see them get out and not hand the driver any tip.

Saw a party of four get out and when the driver stood there, expecting a tip, they actually hunted around in a purse and handed him $2! And there were 4 of them.

Of course two of them were totally bored by the one hour ride there, and they didn't even know the name of the hotel they were going to!! So bored that they asked me if that was the way they would have to go to get back to the airport, "through all this stuff"! I just love that trip, looking at everything!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: beach at holiday inn slimmy?

Thanks Northtrav! You are soooo helpful!

Too Far North
Level Contributor
324 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beach at holiday inn slimmy?

Rn35, you are very welcome. Is this your first visit to Jamaica? Perhaps you will fall in love with Ja. as I did many years ago.

If this is your first trip, and u get a chance to take a mini trip to Negril Beach, do it! Next trip you just may want to spend a week or two there!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: beach at holiday inn slimmy?

Yes!!!!!!!!!!! This is my first trip!!! I really WANTED to go to negril, BUT i am going with my sister and she gets car sick. BAD! So, after talking to her, i thought it best to go close to the airport, especially with the driving that we are not used to! lol!!!! However there is just so many wonderful things i want to do, SO i plan on saving my money and taking my husband to negril!!!!! Oh i can't wait to go, i am counting the sleeps now! 19 more sleeps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!