We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

houston, texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

I am going to Jamaica in June and was wondering where to buy Coconut rum for the best prices without going all the way to the rum factory. I am staying at the Holiday Inn Sunspree in Montego Bay. thanks for your help also any other pointers?

chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

I am not sure if the airport has Coconut Rum.. but it is the cheapest place to buy alcohol that I know of.

sutherlin, va
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

The airport is right. The best thing about buying it there is that you get it before going home. We paid $6.00 a fifth recently. Also be sure to take home a bottle of rum cream (if you like Bailey's) as you cannot buy it here. The Blue Mountain Coffee liquore is also very good if you like Kahula. The rum cream and that are each $9.00 and make excellent gifts,too.

Montreal
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

Hey guys :)

curious... how much rum can you bring back with you?

sudennly friends and family love rum and all want some... lol

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

Multiplexor

I would like to know that as well. My husband and I are going and we were wondering the same thing. I wonder if he and I can both bring our own back, like 3 or 4 bottles a piece or what? Can someone help me out with an answer? Thanks

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
183 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

multiplexor, Canadian residents can bring back 1.14 litres of alcohol assuming you've been out of the country for at least 48 hours. Sorry to our American friends, I don't know what your customs department permits.

I agree with all the other posts. The airport is definately your best bet for liquor. As an added bonus, you'll get it packed in a convenient cardboard carry case that you can take right on the plane. We bought our liquor at the shops across the street from the HI Sunspree but we wished we had waited when we got to the airport.

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

US customs allows: For everyone over age 21, you can bring back 2 liters of liquor, but 1 liter of it must be made in one of 20 selected caribbean countries, of which Jamaica is one. The whole list is on the US customs web site in the "know before you go" pamphlet.

Hartford, WI
Level Contributor
546 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

Also for current airport liquor prices,(which seem to be the cheapest) go to www.jamaicafarewell.com. But when you get to the airport, shop around between the few duty free shops, some are cheaper than others.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

Actually, you can buy Rum Cream here in the US - ask at your local liquor store - I did, and mine now carries it!

Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

COCOA MANIA IS THE BEST!!!!!

You can buy it for around $8.00 for a large bottle at the Montego Bay airport in a shop called Jamaica Farewell.

The sad part is, you can not get it anywhere in the U.S. I have talked to Appleton Rum via e-mail and they say no.I guess I will have bring home alot more on our annual trip in January.

Enjoy your trip,and don't forget to ask for Cocoa Mania and pineapple juice,it is MMMMM GOOD.

houston, texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Inn Sunspree/Coconut Rum for good $ ?

Hey , thanks for all the good information on the Rum...

anyword on Holiday Inn .. do they have jetskis or parasailing /

snuba there? how much does it cost?