We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flooding in MoBay?

Which Montego Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
TN
3 posts
Save Topic
flooding in MoBay?

We are staying at the Ritz Rose Hall in July -- their web site has a message that they have shut down until May 18 due to damage/flooding from rain. Anyone heard of any problems in MoBay?

Oregon
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flooding in MoBay?

Last week on Wednesday Mobay got hit by a pretty big rain storm. It started raining heavy around 1pm and didnt let up much until midnight. We were staying in RDMB and saw lots of staff running around trying to keep the water away from sensitive areas but it was an uphill battle. We experienced a few power outages but they got the power back on quickly (and we had to reset a few of the breakers in our room).

I'm not sure what exactly happened at the Ritz Rose Hall but its possible they blew out their breakers....my god it was pouring!

The rain was so bad many of the staff was not able to get home until 3am!! Yikes! It seemed everytime the rain picked up again the sirens from emergency vehicles would start up all over town. By the next morning the clouds were gone and the sun was out. Not a long rain storm but it sure dumped a lot of water on the city.

Regards,

-Reby

Illinois
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: flooding in MoBay?

I read on Monday, that the Ritz was scheduled to re-open this past Tuesday, the 3rd...that was on the radiojamaica website....maybe you should contact the hotel "direct" for additional/more info!

ewk
ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: flooding in MoBay?

hi all - help!!?!?!?!?

i'm supposed to be honeymooning at the ritz may 20, in just two weeks?!! has it been badly damaged by the rains? should i stay there or try going to round hill or half moon? thanks!

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flooding in MoBay?

Hello ewk,

CONGRATULATIONS!

Please do not worry.

The Ritz will take care of you.

Thats why they are the Ritz Carlton.

The Mo Bay Resort was voted the best and most popular of the entire chain.

Here is an article that I enjoy reading.

We Jamaicans can be very critical among ourselves.

When a fellow Jamaican writes that the service

is the Best at the Ritz,

then they must be doing something right

Have fun!

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flooding in MoBay?

jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/…life1.html

ewk
ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: flooding in MoBay?

thanks jbg! good article.

so you haven't heard that they won't be reopening may 18 as planned-thats mostly what i'm worried about. can't believe the flooding occurred when i have plans to be there in two weeks!!! urgh!

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
303 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flooding in MoBay?

i'm gonna be there too from may 19th for 2 weeks but the weather looks good at that time according to accuweather.com

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,628 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flooding in MoBay?

Hello ewk and Laurel,

The RC is a huge complex. They will take care of you.

They are unlikely to close the entire hotel, in which case you will be given a room in the best available suite. They cannot afford to have any unsatisfied customers as you have read in the most entertaining article. Glad that you enjoyed it.

ewk, You have made the best posible choice with this incredible hotel. They will not let anything spoil your honeymoon.

Laurel. The accuweather link is the best weather site for anything going on in Jamaica.

It was kindly given to me by LivingLegends and I will always be gratefull to her.

It has always been the most reliable and acurate one.

You will be pampered and spoiled for your entire stay.

Make the best of it!

ewk
ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: flooding in MoBay?

So just want to make sure-the Ritz in Mobay will be open beginning May 19th? Just trying to insure my stay-otherwise totally up for booking another reservation on the island??

Just my daily check in....thanks!

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: flooding in MoBay?

Hey!

Don't know about resorts flooding, but when I checked for travel warnings, my airline's only travel warning online was about flooding of the Mobay airport. Anyone else heard of this? Is it true?

Thanks!