We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need your info on Sunset beach resort & spa... PLEASE

Minnesota
Level Contributor
476 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
need your info on Sunset beach resort & spa... PLEASE

Hi!

I could really use your help with some information on this hotel. I was going thru some of the forums, but there are soooo many posts.

I will be traveling with my husband and two children (13 & 11). I really want the kids to have plenty to do while we are there. We usually go to Mexico for our vacations, so this will be new for us. Are there any "shopping markets" , resturant areas, or anything else to see or do that isn't too far away for us to go to? Is there anything within walking distance, and is it safe? We would like to walk the beaches, but it looks like this hotel is sucluded from the others... and anything else.

Can the adults use the water park?

What would you reccomend for a room request, to be close to the beach, but not "on top" of any night entertainment noise.

How do you travel, just taxi?

I hear that there are "hot" tubs, are they even heated? Are the pools warm at all?

How are the beds, now if you have ever slept on the beds in Mexico... you will know why I ask...lol lol! Most of them are HARD!

I am looking for any information that will help us to decide on this vacation. I want our kids to have a ton of fun, and be safe! That is the most important thing for our family vacations.

I am so used to going to Mexico, but I would love to go to Jamaica!

The last place we went was the Crown Paradise Club in Cancun, It was GREAT, the only problem there was that one of the water parks was closed. I don't want any surprises this time around. ............. so I turn to you all for help!!!!!! =:)

Thanks!

MNJulie~

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Crown Paradise Club Cancun
Crown Paradise Club...
9,017 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need your info on Sunset beach resort & spa... PLEASE

i hope this helps--i was there in 2000 before the waterparks. if i had kids i would go to ssb so i think you are at the right place. at the time, they had paddleboats, a miniature golf place, pool tables, life size checkers. they have 3 pools too. snorkel stuff

as far as room--we were on the 10th floor oceanfront. where they had the entertainment didn't even affect rooms.

as far as getting around ssb it is about 15 min from the airport(i can see it from rdmb where we stay because we aren't bringin kids.) you will want to rent a taxi to go to rockland bird sanctuary---it's something your kids will never forget. google it and read about it--not a tourist trap--but awesome. otherwise you can get around to any tours by checkin at hotel.

as far as restaurants--we did not eat out because they had plenty of food there. 2 ala carte restaurants buffet and snacks--also one night the best barbecue on the beach--yum.

as far as beds--i have been all over the caribbean and beds are what they are so i don't remember. i like a hard bed tho.

we went on the black river and to ys falls--loved it.

jamaica is my favorite and there are a lot of things to do. you will be safe if you are smart. quite frankly, i wouldn't walk around at night or downtown in my city alone and you won't be alone. yes the locals come on strong with the sale of their wares--whether it be weed or tshirts etc, but a polite no thank you is all it has taken me.

have a great time. i love the people of jamaica more than anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
mid west
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: need your info on Sunset beach resort & spa... PLEASE

I was wandering how far this resort is from the strip (clubs etc.)

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need your info on Sunset beach resort & spa... PLEASE

It's a cab ride away...about 10 mins or so.

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need your info on Sunset beach resort & spa... PLEASE

Yes, adult can use the waterpark. A few days a week they have adult and child water slide races, so they encourage adults to use them. The pools are not heated, but very warm (we were there in April).

The hot tub at the main pool (off the lobby) is very, very hot. You have to ease your way into it, it is so hot. There are 2 at the waterpark, but they were only warm.

The beds were okay. They are not rock hard, but not pillow topped either.

My son (10) had a great time at SSB, all he wants to do is go back. I think it is a lot like the Crown Paradise Club - we have not been to the Crown Paradise, but we have been looking at places in Cancun that would be like SSB and so far have it narrowed down to Crown Paradise and Dreams.

All travel from the resort is by taxi. There is nothing within walking distance. The beach and resort are very safe.

Mentioned in this post
Crown Paradise Club Cancun
Crown Paradise Club...
9,017 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need your info on Sunset beach resort & spa... PLEASE

Also, request a room in the Inn section of the resort. They are close to the beach and right at the waterpark, but away from the entertainment stage. The towers are right in the middle of the entertainment.

Maryland
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need your info on Sunset beach resort & spa... PLEASE

MNJulie,

Funny we were going to go to Crown Paradise this year for springbreak but decided to go back to SSB because adults and the younger kids couldn't go on the big waterslides.

We went last year to SSB and had a great time with two families and 3 boys. The hotel is not the Ritz but a great value for your money. If you were going to stay at the Crown Paradise then I believe you would like this hotel too!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
476 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need your info on Sunset beach resort & spa... PLEASE

Klab,

We had a great time at the Crown Paradise Club last year, and so did our kids (they were 10 & 12 at the time)! The teen center/park wasn't open last year, but I would have to assume that by now it would be open. There were tons of things for everyone to do, and room for everyone to enjoy themselves.

I hope you have a great time if you go!

MNJulie~

Pinehurst, NC
Level Contributor
659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need your info on Sunset beach resort & spa... PLEASE

Julie

Thanks, we are planning to go for Christmas.

Kami

9. Re: need your info on Sunset beach resort & spa... PLEASE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, August 22, 2009