We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Jamaica

Dublin
3 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Jamaica

Hi there,

I am moving to Jamaica from Ireland in January. I'm very excited and terrified as it is a great change but I'm really looking forward to experiencing Jamaica and all it has to offer.

This leads me to ask.....

if any of you are locals in Kingston, what do you recommend to do or not do? Are there good social clubs to join or what is available?

I've no idea what to expect but would like to make sure I can explore and enjoy Kingston so any tips would be a great help.

Thanks.

Jeni Mc

La Mesa, California
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Jamaica

jenimcc

How often have you been to Jamaica and how many times to Kingston? I ask because it's a big move. I moved from Europe to the US and I know a lot of planning went into it. There has to be more than social clubs that you worry about. Are you all legal and have a place to live?

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Jamaica

Hi Jeni Mc:

I must commend you for your bravery in venturing to live in a completey different country from yours.

Let me answer your first question-what not to do-DO NOT venture into Downtown Kingston by yourself late at night. DO NOT wear excessive jewerly or expose large sums of cash in crowded or unfamiliar areas. (I guess that applies to any country really). If you follows these tips you should be O.K. Jamaica is a pretty laid back country really-almost anything goes. Oh I almost forgot-DO NOT go swimming into the Kingston Harbour!!!

What to do-treat the people with respect. That is the number one rule on the island, especially in Kingston. Kingston has a lot of interesting places to visit such as the Bob Marley Museum, Devon House (an old mansion that serves great local icecream), The National Gallery, Port Royal (the site of one of the oldest forts this side of the world as well as incredible seafood), Strawberry Hill (a lovely restaurant and spa in the hills leading to the Blue Mountains), Hollywell National Park (also leading up to the Blue Mountains), Emancipation Park (great hang out spot), The Little Theatre (shows local plays and performances) and Lime Cay (a small island off the coast of Kingston). There are many more attractions which I am sure that you will become familiar with.

Social Clubs-The more popular include Kiwanis International, Lions Club and Rotary International. Quite a number of Environmental NGOS exist in Kingston including mine-Jamaica Environment Trust www.jamentrust.org. There is also Jamaica Conservation Development Trust and a host of others.

If you want more info please email me at jamaican_critic@yahoo.com

Dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Jamaica

Hey Alimirage,

Thanks for the info. I look forward to checking it all out.

Streamertail, I have never been to Jamaica, will be legal and will be working there for at least 2 years so have most things already organised, but thanks for the tips.

I am aware of the planning but want to immerse myself in Jamaican culture so, to me, social excursions and clubs are the way to go as I have everything else sorted.

Alimirage, can you recommend good shops, food markets, cinemas and dance clubs? The more I talk with people who have been to Jamaica the more excited I'm getting. It is a huge move to definitely a great opportunity.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jenimcc

La Mesa, California
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Jamaica

Jenimcc

Things make more sense to me now. I thought you were emigrating Ireland to a land unseen. Enjoy your job assignment. One of the first things that comes to mind is the climate change. You will not be happy to go back to Dublin after 2 years in Jamaica. Your blood will have "thinned" out and you'll be cold all the time. Don't worry, it'll be worth it. I wish you the best on your adventurous 2 years.

Avon Park
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Jamaica

Jenimcc,

How terrific to have such an opportunity. Lucky you. I am in central Fl but have 2 Jamaican girlfriends here that are from Kingston ( 1 from the city, the other from a local village). They are delightful girls and have a "wicked" sense of humor. I could try and see if they could steer you in a good direction or possibly hook you up with some of their friends or family still there. I am on vacation now but can try to contact one of them.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Jamaica

Hi again Jeni:

With regard to your questions:

Cinemas-www.palaceamusement.com

1.Palace Cineplex located in the Sovereign Shopping Centre in Liguanea

2. Carib 5-located in Cross Roads

Nite Clubs:

1. Quad-located in New Kingston and has four different levels. One of the levels Christopher's Jazz Bar is my favourite. Indoors Club.

2. Assylum Nite Club-also located in New Kingston more hip hop and dancehall vibe. Indoors Club.

3. Priscilla's Night Club-on Constant Spring Road-more mature crowd and oldies music on many nights. One of my favourites as well. Open Air on top of a roof.

4. Pepper's Nite Club-Waterloo Road-mostly open air venue. Good jerk chicken etc. served. Open Air Venue.

5. Morgan's Harbour in Port Royal also has great music. Open Air.

6. Yknott on the Deck-located in Port Royal as well-this used to be my Sunday Night haunt. Great oldies music on Sundays. Also a more mature crowd. Open Air.

7. Backyaad-located on Constant Spring Road-live stand up comedy and live music on most nights. Open Air.

8. Carlos Cafe-New Kingston. Kareaoke on some nights as well as live performances. Mostly Open Air.

9. Mingle's Nite Club (located inside Courtleigh Hotel in New Kingston)-Latin Music and Kareoke on most nights.

10. Jonkanoo Lounge-(located inside Hilton Hotel in New Kingston)-Latin Music and Kareoke on most nights.

Ofcourse there are many more clubs located in the city but these are the most popular.

Food:

Again so much to choose from. I will just tell you my favourites depending on the type of food:

1. Japanese-East Japanese Restaurant (located inside Market Place complex on Constant Spring Road)

2. Chinese-Dragon Court (located on South Avenue)

3. Indian-Akbar (on Holborn Road)

4. Thai-Thai Gardens (on Holborn Road)

5. Meditteranian-Habibi Latino (located in Market Place complex on Constant Spring Road)

6. Seafood-Whitebone's Seafood Restaurant

7. Seafood-Gloria's (located in Port Royal)

8. Ribs etc-Rib Cage (located on Constant Spring Road)

9. Jamaican/Caribbean-Norma's-located inside Devon House Complex on Hope Road.

10. Jamaican/International-Cafe Aubergine-located inside Market Place Complex on Constant Spring Road

11. Fast Food-any of the Island Grill outlets-they serve traditional Jamaican fast food like jerk chicken and jerk fish etc.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Jamaica

Oh yeah-regards to shopping. The Sovereign Shopping Centre located in Liguanea has everything but is a bit pricy. I usually get vegetable/fruits etc. from the Papine Market. Any Super Plus Food Store is reasonable for supermarket items. For general stores there is PriceMart on Red Hills Road and MegaMart on Waterloo Road-they sell anything from food to electronic items.

Dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Jamaica

Wow. Thanks for all the info. Will definitely keep this for the move.

If you think of anything else for non-local 'locals' please feel free to let me know whenever you think of it.

Thanks.

Jenimcc

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Jamaica

Jeni...................do you need a PA

I'd be more than happy to come out with you,

What a fabulous oppurtunity, hope everthing works out well.

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Jamaica

Hey Jeni:

No prob. Remember to feel free to email me at jamaican_critic@yahoo.com if there is anything else you want to find out.