We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chell- Can you please comment on this?

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Chell- Can you please comment on this?

{(hundreds of Japanese visit each year) in the ghettos of Kingston with an experience tour group.}

this was posted about a Bob Marley tour in Kingston by another poster. I am simply curious.....as I can honestly say I have never seen a Japanese tourist anywhere in other parts of Jamaica.

Do the Japanese tour groups go to Kingston instead? Are the Japanese really interested in Bob Marley?

Jamaica Cultural Enterprises
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours
Vibzen Experiences
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Literary, Art & Music Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Sun Venture Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Eventuality Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
5,744 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chell- Can you please comment on this?

Reggae is huge in Japan. It has a real cult following.

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chell- Can you please comment on this?

Jamaica is big in Japan. They get like 95% of all the Blue Mountain coffee grown on the island...and people buy it in Japanese cafes for upwards of $10 US per cup.

Personally, I cannot recall seeing any Japanese tourists in Jamaica (including Kingston). But I cannot recall seeing many tourists in Jamaica who came from literally the other side of the Earth. It is a logistics thing.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chell- Can you please comment on this?

i've seen japanese tourist in kingston...

they have a huge population of "dancehall gals" (google dancehall queen japan, and watch some interesting youtube videos of gals who can do things that most jamaican gals can't lol) (btw, this isn't for the feint of heart, they get just as raunchy, if not more so)

they also have the stereotypical japanese tourist who has the camcorder glued to them... i've seen them too...

so yes, i'd say a good chunk of the people who come to kingston for tourism purposes are japanese... there are other pockets of europe (denmark and sweeden for example) that are also fairly well represented... only really in north american culture is kingston viewed as almost a taboo place to go... it is the capitol of the island and the heartbeat of the nation, so many view seeing it and emersing themselves in the culture as almost a necessity to really getting the most out of the travel experience...

Chelle

Edited: 1:47 pm, June 17, 2011
Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,613 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chell- Can you please comment on this?

I've seen quite a few Japanese tourists in Negril...

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chell- Can you please comment on this?

Thank you for all of your insights. I really appreciate it!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chell- Can you please comment on this?

:) thank you for posting this... i'd forgot how entertaining the japanese videos can be... i love how they completely embrace the outfits... hairstyle.... everything... it's sort of endearing in a werid kind of way :)

there are also dancehall parties that you can watch on youtube...those are a little less risque... mostly...

Chelle

Edited: 2:15 pm, June 17, 2011
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Chell- Can you please comment on this?

Now I'm curious and wonder what the Jamaicans think of the Japanese dance hall tourists in Kingston.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chell- Can you please comment on this?

IDK but I am off to look at some Japanese Jamaican videos........

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chell- Can you please comment on this?

honestly from all i've heard, most people love the japanese... you'll often hear the dancehall songs caling out the gals from Japan :) i've heard of a feud or two between the more well known girl dancers.... but it's probably just hype...

for the most part whenever i've seen them interviewed on RTV or something it's always been a "awww, aren't they cute" type attitude...

Chelle

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,739 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chell- Can you please comment on this?

they also think they're a little crazy, they come with their blue weave. long nails and 6 inch stellettos, sailor moon cut offshirts with batty shorts and represent on dutty fridaze or some other street party... speaking patwa better than english :)

Chelle

Edited: 2:31 pm, June 17, 2011