We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

My family of 4 will be going on a mission trip to Kingston Salvation Army and are considering staying a few additional days to see Montego Bay. It's pretty expensive for all 4 of us to fly to Mobay, and read about the Knutsford Express. Our church is recommending we fly rather than travel the roads due to safety concerns. Any thoughts would be appreciated. We will be traveling with our 9 and 11 year old.

Edited: 12:01 pm, January 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

Im sure they are just trying to be extra cautious, but The bus goes through no areas that are of concern... It picks up in a safe central area of new Kingston and drops off in a busy shopping plaza in Montego bay... The drive itself starts out on a busy Kingston road to the highway and then inland through the mountains and some smaller towns (still on main interior highway)... The road conditions are a little bad in the rare spot and the drive is a little wild, but knutsford drivers are, from my experience and knowledge, safe and courteous...

The trip itself is between 3.5 and 4 hours and stops for about 15 min in ochi... The bus is air-conditioned and comfy, showing a movie (if the scenery outside isn't entertainment enough)..

The flight would be a totally different experience... Doubt in the end it would save you all that much time with checking in and waiting and all that...

Enjoy

Chelle

freshmint
Level Contributor
228 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

agree with above poster. the driver's are very pro. mr. oliver runs a great busline. the road is rough in some little spots but it's no problem mon. Chell, on both our trips, 2 movies were shown. water offered at the beginning of the trip compliments of the bus company. buy your tickets days ahead, or arrive around atleast 1/2 hr. ahead. arrive ahead either way, and get a more to the front seat.

Edited: 3:08 pm, January 29, 2011
atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

Thank you both for your helpful advice. It's exactly what I hoped to hear. I've booked our trip already and know it will be a great experience. Thanks again.

Redwood City...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

Have you finished the Jamaica trip yet?

How is your experience with knutsford express?

I will go from Kingston to Mobay with my 11 year daughter this coming Jul, and I also have safety concern as you guys.

Thanks in advance.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

for reference, i've done the trip solo, and if my children would promise to behave, i'd have no issues taking them along either... my biggest concern would be the distance, not the safety when kids are concerned... but at 11 i'm sure she'll manage... my crew are a lot younger :)

Chelle

Redwood City...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

Chelle,Thanks for the info. -Jessica

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

Yes, we're home from our trip to Jamaica and I can honestly say that I would highly recommend Knutsford Express. I wasn't too concerned after the responses from Chell and Freshmint, but the ride turned out even better than we expected. I will say that you should book online and show up at least 30 minutes before departure, because there were so many riders that they had to bring a 2nd bus. However, we had no problems getting seats together. The buses were new and clean, the driver was very prompt and safe driving from Kingston to Montego Bay. It had a/c and we were given bottled water. And, they even showed a current movie, which was a nice touch. It was by FAR cheaper than flying, and we got to see a lot of the island from the bus. There was one brief stop in Ochos Rios, where you can get snacks, beverages and use the bathroom, but the trip only took about 3 1/2 hours total. I'd say you and your daughter will be just fine :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,736 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

greats stuff, glad you enjoyed and it was a good trip...

they very consistiently get great recommendations... other than a few being disappointed that they discontinued the Kingston to Mandeville route that they offered for a fairly short time, i've not heard any complaints whatsoever.....

booking online is a great tip! and yes, i forgot about the water! also there is luggage compartments below the bus... they say one large bag per person, but i suspect that most travelers do not have luggage so i'm sure they would accomodate...there are always taxis at either end wating when the bus drops off as well

Chelle

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
Level Contributor
12,917 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

Glad to hear they are still delivering superior, affordable service :)

Lawrenceville...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: knutsford express or flight to Mobay with kids

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from Sangster International in Montego Bay to the Knutsford Express location?