We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Violent Crime

Which Kingston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
10 posts
Save Topic
Violent Crime

I've booked a flight to Kingston with my daughter for a week's trekking and scuba-diving. We've rented a car and will make our own travel arrangements. We have both been pretty put off by the crime reports we have read since booking. We are thinking of just ditching our tickets and opting for a safer location. We are no whimps - spent many a week in Nairobi for example - but Jamaica sounds as if it's collapsing under muggings, murder and hi-jacks, as well as the aftermath of the hurricane. Just how prevelant is all this?

Will

Caesarea, Ontario...
5 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Violent Crime

Jamaica is a wonderful place.....just stay away from the south coast....(Kingston side).....no different then any other big city with its crimes......just that the island is smaller then most large U.S. or Canadian cities......so seems like alot more

Best bets for peace and quiet and scuba is.....Port Antonio.....Negril....Falmouth.....Runaway Bay....have fun....I love Jamaica....my husband was born there/;; his father happend to be working there when he was born over 48 years ago

we go back several times a year

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
192 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Violent Crime

I have been to Kingston 5 times for about 10 days each trip. It is really all about knowing what areas to avoid and what areas to not be in at night. In all my trips to kingson, the only crime my group has ever encountered is pick-pocketing once. If you visit kingston, I would say stick to the New Kingston downtown area. Plenty of nice hotels and places to shop and eat. I've also visited the open market near the bus depot downtown and Ward theater. Here you'll be ok in the day, just be thoughtful and don't act like a snobby tourist. The locals are trying to make a living and don't enjoy "jakes" sticking a camera in their face. I've always stayed in the Constant Springs area, which has some shopping and a golf course. Areas I would say you should avoid are most of west Kingston neighborhoods.

Indiana
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Violent Crime

As a teen to twenty-something tourist, Kingston was the most "Happening" place to be in Jamaica for me. It just depends on where you want to go and what you want to do. Definitely go to Port Royal/Fort Charles because it is very educational and fun for kids. Bob Marley's home in Kingston is also a great place because if you're a history buff, you get a feel of what it was like in that era and when I saw his Land Rover and the clothes he wore it really touched me. If you don't know his music, listen to it and get his message before you go. Kingston, as you probably know, is the capital and anytime you go to a capital city you will have to deal with the problems that go along with big cities. Unlike New York City this big city just happens to be in a beautiful place in the Caribbean with beautiful people to encounter. Take the same precautions as you would in New York City or Chicago and you should have no worries. I still tell people that after 15 years I have never had any lobster like the lobster I had at Hellshire Beach! Have a great time in Town.