We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island for a family spring break trip ?

Hillsborough, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Which island for a family spring break trip ?

We are a family of 4, 2 adults & 2 kids ages 14 & 10. Very well travelled family !

I am looking for GREAT beaches , snorkeling , great food , some activities like hiking & such for all of us .

And we are not AI people , so looking to either rent a villa or stay at a resort.

So far , I am thinking about Jamaica, Grenada , St.Vincent & Grenadine, Turk & Caicos.

I know they are such varied choices , but I would like to get some opinions !

We like somewhat upscale accommodation!

Thanks

Kush

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which island for a family spring break trip ?

I think your kids will love Jamaica, because Jamaicans love children! There are so many gorgeous villas in Jamaica. I am sure you can find one which will meet your needs. My favorite beach in Jamaica is in Negril. Check out Idle Awhile Villas. This property was just purchased and renovated by one of the most well-known hoteliers in Jamaica. I can say with confidence that you will be pleased with your accommodations there. It is a couple of doors down, however, from Margaritaville which sometimes plays loud music at night. This could be the only downside. There are literally hundreds of villas to choose from in Jamaica. Sites like Villas of Distinction and Villas by Linda Smith have a huge selection.Tryall Club also has some gorgeous villas for families.

Related to your other island choices, I thought The Grenadines were some of the most beautiful islands I have ever seen. But, they are remote and require some effort to get there. Once there, just wow! However, I have been to Jamaica close to 20 times, because I love the music, food and culture there. Enjoy your trip planning.

Hillsborough, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which island for a family spring break trip ?

Thank you !!

Do you think my kids will have enough to do ?

I am not quite sure about Grenadines offering range of activities!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which island for a family spring break trip ?

There are tons of different things to do from snorkeling to swimming with the dolphins to zip lining. If you want to zip line, you might want to stay closer to Ocho Rios. Look up Rain Forest Adventures / Mystic Mountain.

The beaches are pretty there too, but not nearly as beautiful as Negril. I know you said you didn't want an AI, but Beaches Resorts has so many activities for children of all ages. Check it out and see what you think:

http://www.beaches.com/activities/

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which island for a family spring break trip ?

I suggest Half Moon, for the kids golf carts, dolphins, horses great private beaches !

The grounds are huge it's over 400 acres. It's close to Montego Bay airport.

Wonderful spa as well!!

The most beautiful grounds!!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which island for a family spring break trip ?

The staff are so gracious , it would be a perfect place for you and your children to enjoy and learn about the island!!

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which island for a family spring break trip ?

Make it Jamaica...Once you go, you know.

Ocho Rios and Negril are fun vacation spots.

If Money is no option, then the Half Moon Hotel in Montego is like few others

kingston
Level Contributor
651 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which island for a family spring break trip ?

Kush,

I have heard of plans for summer break in Port Antonio next year. Check Goblin Hill Villas.

You may send me an email- Juliet-oldejamaica@yahoo.com

Level Contributor
1,896 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which island for a family spring break trip ?

Kush

Agree with GinSha Jamaica is rich in culture, music, and excursion choices. The island is lush and tropical from coast to coast. Beaches Resorts are definitely worth consideration (our top pick for family vacations - Beaches Negril is our favorite of the 2 on Island but we have enjoyed all of our stays at both). Idle Awhile Villas on the Long Bay section of 7 Mile Beach would now be my top pick for a non-inclusive family vacation in JA. The calm clear seas off the coast of Negril with a gradual descent and sandy sea floor is perfect for children and for enjoying water sports.

Grace Bay Beach, Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands is one of our favorite destinations. The beach is amazing and the calm clear azure water is stunning. A water sports enthusiasts paradise - a scuba and snorkeling experience rich with colorful sea life. The island is not lush and tropical outside of the resort areas although renting a car and exploring on your own is a welcome adventure. There are several wonderful restaurants to experience run by very talented chefs - a culinary experience for sure. Beaches Turks & Caicos and Seven Stars Resort (non-inclusive) both on Grace Bay Beach are our favorites.

Hillsborough, New...
Level Contributor
270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which island for a family spring break trip ?

Thanks everyone!

Still debating :) we don't want to do AI , maybe leaning towards T&C

Kush

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
834 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which island for a family spring break trip ?

Take a look at Port Antonio or Treasure Beach in Jamaica. Neither of these areas have AI resorts and they are not developed for tourism. Both have great hiking and more nature based attractions, like waterfalls, river rafting/river safari, and authentic restaurants. Check out Jake's in Treasure Beach for a family friendly non-AI resort.