We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I absolutely hate reading this...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
I absolutely hate reading this...

" beware this hotel is open to locals" "locals are allowed to eat and swim here too" HELLO PEOPLE YOU'RE IN their country!!! That's like Americans not allowed at a comfort inn in AMERICA!! Jamaicans work hard and should be allowed to relax at a resort when they have leisure time not to mention the cost for a day pass to many of the resorts are expensive!!! Okay there's my rant for the day. 72 days until I'm in Jamaica!!! Can't wait..

Illinois
Level Contributor
5,235 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: I absolutely hate reading this...

I agree that it is nice that a resort allows individuals from Jamaica day passes for a decent price. However, I do not like ANY resort that allows large numbers of guests who are not staying at the resort day passes, and that includes cruise ships.

When I pick a resort, i consider things like size of resort, number of guests, ability to not have to deal with crowds, lines for food, atmosphere, etc....- ALL of these things are effected when large number of day passes are sold.

Allow day passes- yes, however, keep the amount to a number that does not change the ambiance of the resort.

"That's like Americans not allowed at a comfort inn in AMERICA!!"

Actually , most hotels in the US do not allow free run of their facilities by non paying guests, one of the reasons there are locked rooms where the pool and fitness center are located. And the free buffets are reserved for paying guests only.

Just wondering- what resort ?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: I absolutely hate reading this...

Sunset grande

Holiday inn sunspree

Sunset beach

Riu Negril to name a few

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,468 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: I absolutely hate reading this...

There is a HUGE difference between a resort that "allows non-paying guests", one that sells "day passes" and one that "allows locals". I'm surprised anyone is equating them here.

One that doesn't allow Jamaican residents would be, frankly, illegal and the very idea is repugnant. Also unnecessary. People who want to and can afford to go to the resort go to the resort, whether they are Jamaican, British, Canadian or South American.

Most all of them sell day passes. Some, however, make a huge business of selling them to very large numbers of people - like cruise ships. I can totally see how that would affect the experience at a resort. Some also may sell passes to school or church or other local groups. A bunch of unsupervised kids, no matter the nationality, is also going to impact the experience at the pool, buffet, etc.

But none of this has to do with who is Jamaican and who is not. My tour guide/driver/renter of scooters in TB had his honeymoon at a Sandals. I had a lovely dinner with the food and beverage manager of the Ritz and her husband while they enjoyed a long weekend at Breezes a few years ago, and spent a lot of time at the pool bar with a woman from Brownstown while she and her husband enjoyed a weekend away from home. All Jamaican, all "local". Some perhaps paid a local rate, but so do people who live in the same county as Cedar Point. I don't get upset about "Erie County" people overrunning the park and lengthening all the roller coaster lines because they get to go cheaper.

Anyone who complains about THAT should absolutely stay home.

Edited: 11:29 am, May 08, 2013
Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
3,037 posts
68 reviews
4. Re: I absolutely hate reading this...

Just reading that small section of what was said, sounds to me like perhaps the resort has a restaurant, pool and beach open to the public? Its not unheard of. The Hotel we stay at in Ocean City MD has a pool bar grill with swimming pool and Jacuzzi that anyone can walk into and swim at. I mean yes technically the pool and jacuzzi are for hotel guests but they are right there with the grill seating area with nothing roped off so anyone could wander in and no one would know the difference. I don't think its that big of a deal unless it were to get overcrowded and ridiculous.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
15,130 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: I absolutely hate reading this...

Years ago when we did the bike races we were soliciting prize donations from hotels and resorts in Negril for the road bike race, a race that was predominantly Jamaican participants. Swept Away provided a one week stay and made it clear that they really HOPED it would go to a Jamaican.

It did.

St. Charles, MO
Level Contributor
1,880 posts
1 review
6. Re: I absolutely hate reading this...

I don't have a problem with 'local' guests at a hotel. I do have a problem with day passes. If the number is not controlled, the resort can be overwhelmed. Long lines for food/drink, crowded pools and beaches, etc. My last visit at what was Breezes Runaway Bay got off to a bad start because of this.

Not only was it day pass people, but also weekend stay people. They filled the resort to capacity, but the resort was not able to handle the volume. No tables at the buffet restaurant. Long lines at all the buffet stations. Once Sunday afternoon came, the crowd was gone and things ran smoothly.

If a resort is going to market day passes and to weekend guests, they just need to be able to handle the load.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: I absolutely hate reading this...

I'd really like to know --where this was originally posted--because I can hardly believe what I'm reading.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: I absolutely hate reading this...

Recent sunset grande resort

Barrie Ontario
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: I absolutely hate reading this...

Ah cedar point what a great day

10. Re: I absolutely hate reading this...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 11, 2014