We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling by rental car

Indianapolis, IN.
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling by rental car

My husband and I will be staying in Negril in March and are renting a car to do our sightseeing on the Southern Coast. We have driven in Mexico, Europe, and Britain and are used to driving on the left. How are the roads to Mandeville, Black River, Appleton Rum Estates, etc.? Can we see these attractions without being with an organized tour group?

Most of the tours from Negril include transportation.

Thanks for any info. you can give us.

Cuenca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling by rental car

Hello IndyTravellers,

I have also driven and still drive in these countries. Nothing can prepare you for or compare with the experiece of driving in Jamaica. For as little as $50 a limo will take you from the airport to your hotel. Relax and enjoy your holiday. Observe how the driver handles everything and make your own judgement to match your capabilities. Do not overrate yourself.

I love to play tennis and when I watch players like Aggassi, Hewett and Roddick, they make it look so easy. Then I get on the court and the strokes do not come off as well. Then I get angry with myself for loosing a point.

I shouild be angry for dreaming that I can even TRY to immitate them.

Same thing with driving in JAM. They make it look easy.

I was born and raised in Jam and highly recomend that you leave the driving to the Jamaicans.

If you feel that you can handle it, then by all means go ahead.

The main roads from Negril along the South coast are all repared after the hurricane Ivan. There will be some workmen and you may have to share the roads with goats and cows and bicycles, not to forget potholes.

Do not ever attempt to drive at night.

ENJOY JAMAICA!