We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteering in Jamaica for free??

Cuyahoga Falls, OH
3 posts
Save Topic
Volunteering in Jamaica for free??

I want to volunteer in Jamaica, but I do not want to have to pay to do it. Everywhere I find on the net charges as much as an all inclusive does. I dont mind having to pay for my own room and board, but would prefer to find somewhere where it is included if you volunteer. I will be there from the 16th of Nov till Dec 2 and would like to do it for around a week. Thanks

Kingston, Jamaica
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteering in Jamaica for free??

Maybe you should try and contact the Peace Corps.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteering in Jamaica for free??

Where in Jamaica will you be?

What kind of volunteer work?

Here are some contacts from my file (I've compiled with the hope of a job one day)-hope it's helpful:

Jamaica Aids Support

1-876-971-4333

montegobay@jamaica-aids-support.zzn.com

Also try the SOS Childrens Village-they have several locations in Jamaica-don't have the # right now but go on the web site and click jamaica.(I can get it later if you don't find it)

Western Society for the upliftment of Children/children first-1-876-952-3377/876-979-8979 (Glenda Drummond, director)

USAID/Jamaica-876-926-3645

Jamaica Red Cross-1-876-984-7860

You should also contact the University of the West Indies Social Work Dept.-they may have some suggestions

Are you planning on bringing any things to give away? I'd bring an extra bag with clothes and some school stuff for kids (I always bring fun stuf too like balloons with glitter glue and play with the kids writing their names on them, stickers, cars, crayons, books...just an idea!

Good luck-they will be glad to have you!

PEACE!

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
621 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteering in Jamaica for free??

Hi, graybola!

How wonderful to want to volunteer! Bushgrl has given you so much great info, I'm sure you will find something. I'm not sure how quickly you would be able to do something like this in a short time. If this doesn't work out with those options, I volunteered, (it was just for one day), at the school where I just happened to be visiting to bring school supplies for the kids. The owner of the school needed help painting the school and asked if we would like to help. If you call some of the schools in the area where you would like to stay, I'm sure that many of them would need help like this. It doesn't make sense for you to have to pay to volunteer. Bless you for your good intentions and very gracious offer.

I hope that your wonderful efforts will be put to good use when you visit Jamaica!:)

-Leah

portsmouth/nh and...
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteering in Jamaica for free??

There are quite a few programs offered by various educational/church/doctors without borders and habitat for humanity-style and other groups that focus on St.Elizabeth parish on Jamaica's South Coast where there are also Peace Corps volunteers. Check the Treasure Beach community Web site at www.treasurebeach.net or post a query there.

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteering in Jamaica for free??

Hi graybola,

These are some other sites for you to consider, I believe you have to pay for your board but the money does go to the projects. If you are a student you pay even less.

Jamaica Volunteer Program - Work on Blue Moutain Village Projects.

globalvolunteers.org/1main/jamaica/volunteer…

Voluteer: Hurricane Relief Work in Jamaica

givingglobal.org/volunteer/…

Cuyahoga Falls, OH
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteering in Jamaica for free??

Thank you so much for the replies!!!! I planned this trip at the last minute and leave on Tuesday so I didnt really have enough time to do too much research on my own.

I dont really have a plan as to where I am going yet. I basically bought the plane ticket (Kingston) and figure I will end up where I should be. I just got back from India and my plans were changed within the first 8 hours of being there (for the better) and I just figure it will work out how it is "supposed" to. :)

Thanks again!!!!!!!