We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karen_wi

jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Topic
Karen_wi

Hey good idea about the new topic now your alot easier to find. Im guessing a dirty monkey is probably close to a dirty bananna sounds it anyway. We stayed at beaches grand sport 2 years ago. we loved it and tryed to go back last year but they were changing it to be a part of sandals grand ocho rios, So we were at the resort but it was a different name. The way I look at it is it can only get better and it was already pretty cool to begin with. Any questions about the manor side (the old beaches property) I can probably answer. I really hope the staff is the same because they were really alot of fun. Only 96 more days!!! :)

jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Karen_wi

just bringing it back to the top

K D
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Karen_wi

LOL...I thought I was the only one counting down the days! As far as I can tell, we'll be staying on the Manor side, which from reviews almost sounds like the best spot to be at. We're hoping that maybe they'll do their famous "upgrade" for us, since we're celebrating my b-day while there.

Have you done any excursions in Jamaica? The only thing we did when we were there a couple years ago was the Dunn's River Falls thing. Thought that was pretty, but HATED the little shop place they make you go through in order to get out. Man, those dudes were persistant!

Thought about the golf thing as well, but the only golf I've ever done was miniature. (ha ha) The hubby really loves the real golfing though it's been a while for him as well.

I guess my big question would be whether we could "arrange" to have a mini fridge in our room, or if there's one there. Any idea? I don't care about the butler / consierge stuff...just want a cold drink available.

Let me know what your thoughts are, okay? We'll have to set up something so we'll be able to hook up with you guys, like meeting somewhere at one of the bars or pools at a certain time. We're just a couple of fun-loving people, looking for good laughs and conversation. Anybody in your group play cards at all?

Looking forward to your reply....Karen_WI

K D
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Karen_wi

oh yeah...also, what's your take on the no tipping or they'll get fired? I certainly don't want anyone getting fired, but I like to tip if they go out of their way to help out. Know what I mean?

From other reviews, I see they make about $2 an hour. Sounds really low to us, but the Dominicans make even less than that (sad) Let me know what your thoughts are-thanks!

K D
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Karen_wi

are we there yet?? :-)

jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Karen_wi

Sorry for no response we just had a very hectic week. But to answer some of your questions. when we were there last all of the villas had a fridge. and everybody was upgraded to a villa. they were nice a had a nice pool too. but we really dident use it as much as we thought we would. mainly at night when nothing was happening. what kind of cards we talking here?? poker, rummy??? And last but not least do we tip? this may bother some but we do tip (discretely). Not only because they deserve it but because we sometimes ask them to bring us drinks or food

at the pool when the pool bar is closed at night and we are too lazy to get them ourselves from the main house. ( a really long walk with lots of stairs) 90 more days!!!!

jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Karen_wi

After much debate it has been brought to my attention that I spelled discreetly wrong in my last post, but at least it wasn't me who bet the 20$ and lost.

jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Karen_wi

Karen where are you?? I hope I diden t lose you by not responding for a while !! come back and Ill buy you a red stripe:) sandy

K D
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Karen_wi

IluvJA -

no, you didn't lose me...here I am!!! Now where's that beer???

Hee hee As for the cards, the hubby and I really enjoy playing dirty clubs and euchre...but poker's always fun too.

I played rummy 500 when I was younger - absolutely LOVED it!

Dice are always fun as well. It's just so much more fun when you can get a couple tables and a good crowd going...makes the night all that much more fun. We even have this game called "pass the pigs" that we're bringing along with. You actually throw little rubber pigs like dice, and you score points according to how they land. Always good for a bunch of laughs, as well as a few weird looks from others. And man, do those pigs bounce!! :-)

As for the tipping, we do the same. discreetly, ofcourse.

It's great to hear about the mini fridges...I really hope to get a room with one in it.

WOW...only 90 more days for you...93 (I think) for us!!

I hear you about hectic weeks...had one myself.

Let's have a toast to good days ahead of us, and worries behind us! <clink>

You guys sound like you'll be a lot of fun...can't wait to meet all of you!

Gimme' a holler back and let me know you got this, okay? Hope to hear from you soon! Karen -WI

K D
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
322 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Karen_wi

oh my gosh!!! I am soooooo mad right now!!!

I read the info that sdaisy put on the board here earlier...Sandals Dunn's River is closed for renovations while we're staying at the Grande!!!

I was so looking forward to spending atleast a little time over there, to walk the beach and check out what they have to offer.

This really bites the big one, man! I think I'm going to contact the manager's, and see what the deal is.

Bummer... :-(

jersey
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Karen_wi

That really stinks about sandals dunns river. Sorry about that beer I kinda drank it already hee hee. Not up to the card games you mentioned, but I have played the pig game on the internet( not exactlly the same I guess but it was still cool) . Did theysay how long dunns river will be closed for???