We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Dennis - Should I cancel?

Muskogee, OK
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Dennis - Should I cancel?

My hsband and I are scheduled to arrive in Montego Bay on Saturday July 9th at 1:00pm. I have been watching Hurricane Dennis very closely and we are debating whether or not to cancel out trip. I know the airport is closed now, but most of the info I have read indicates they will open back by Friday evening. I do have travel insurance, but this will be our first time in Jamaica and I have been planning for this for months and really looking forward to it. It looks like Dennis will not have a direct hit on Montego Bay, but I am worried about the aftermath. We're from Oklahoma, so I don't know much about Hurricanes.

Does anyone have any advice on what Jamaica will be like the days immediately following a hurricane. I hear the biggest threat is flooding. Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I, along with everyone else, will also be praying for the locals in Jamaica and hope that everyone there is okay.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Oklahoma
Oklahoma
United States
lincoln park, mi
Level Contributor
911 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hurricane Dennis - Should I cancel?

First of all, my thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved in this unfortunate event. The US will be suffering the aftermath as well.

miyaad and rubikon,

VERY much appreciate your updates. Hope that you will continue to do so. Many of us appreciate it! We are scheduled to leave for Negril on Sunday. My husband and I discussed it and no way do we want to cancel our trip. As long as there is water and power, we will be going. Plan to call CocoLapalm tomorrow and see what is up. We have had 3 trips to the Caribbean with wonderful weather. Have to take the good with the bad. We just want to relax and have some good local food and flair. I'll be sure to bring an umbrella.

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Kingston
Level Contributor
415 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hurricane Dennis - Should I cancel?

Update : Stillllll raining...

I can't vouch for the north coast as I guess the mountains protect us but this is nothing like Ivan was. That blew hard, this one not so bad. I know that a lot of people have gone to shelters but a lot too have remained in their houses. There will be some floods I think so bear that in mind but hopefully we can have some fine weather for the weekend. I am not sure if there is another on the runway ready fi come but it look like dis one a pass away without too much damage. I hope that I haven't misjudged, but I have ben listening to the radio phone in and there don't seem too many problems. Hope everyone is Ok up on the north coast.

Muskogee, OK
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hurricane Dennis - Should I cancel?

Thank you all for the info.

We have decided to call the resort in the morning. If they have water and power, then we are going. Afterall, us landlocks don't get many chances to experience any associations with Hurricanes, although we do have lots of tornados!!

Looks like all the hoping and praying worked for the residents of Jamaica, let's hope their neighbors to the north get a break as well.

For those of you in Jamaica, please keep all of us anxious vactioners updated on the conditions on the island.

I am going to Montego Bay, so if anyone has any specific knowledge of the weather conditions in that area, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Mentioned in this post
lincoln park, mi
Level Contributor
911 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Hurricane Dennis - Should I cancel?

Anyone have any suggestions for what an RN could do to volunteer in or near Negril for the day? Does not necessarily have to be hurricane related.

Thanks, Brenda

Mentioned in this post
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hurricane Dennis - Should I cancel?

I don't think you will have many problems with the aftermath of Dennis. I would mainly be concerned about mudslides and flooding, but it seems that Dennis has spared much of the island. I would however, keep a look at the next tropical wave and follow that. It appears that the likelyhood of development is high on that one. At least, Sandals carries the "hurricane guarentee."

lincoln park, mi
Level Contributor
911 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Hurricane Dennis - Should I cancel?

Thanks caseybv

We are the type to just make the most of whatever happens. My husband and I would still like to do something for the day that might be of assistance to the local folks. Any suggestions still appreciated.