We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snakes in Jamaica

Sault Ste Marie
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
snakes in Jamaica

Greetings, I am a first time traveller to Jamaica and I was wondering if anyone knows what the reptile situation in Jamaica is like. I have a terrible phobia and we just booked a vacation for next April To Sandals Montego Bay and I am worried that I may run into one of my "friends" someplace.

We went to the Mayan Riveria in Mexico last year and luckily I heard stories from people who had seen snakes but I did not.

Any suggestions for Jamaica?

Thank you

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snakes in Jamaica

Snakes are extremely rare in Jamaica. They were mostly killed off by the mongoose, imported to kill the canefield rats. Although there are some snakes, I doubt there would be any at Sandals in Mo Bay

and there are no poisonous snakes in Jamaica.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snakes in Jamaica

There are yellow boas in some areas of the island but like sated above they are very rare.

There are also some very common looking snakes that live in the shade under rocks etc... but they are not plentiful. The chances of seeing a snake in Jamaica are not great sos don't worry.

You will see at least a few lizards however. The are usually just cute little geko type guys that are not into getting too close to humans. Leave them alone and they will not be a problem.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Level Contributor
590 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snakes in Jamaica

hockeymama .... no fret

Jamaica
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snakes in Jamaica

Your chances of seeing a snake in Jamaica are about one in fifty million (or more). I have hiked through some of the wildest parts of the island and have never encountered anything remotely resembling a snake. The only ones I have ever seen here were in a bag awaiting a "performance" at the then Intercontinental Hotel in Ocho Rios.

montreal
Level Contributor
11,515 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snakes in Jamaica

Greetings to you in Sault Ste Marie,

The others are right on, there are very very few snakes in Jamaica, far fewer than there are in your backyard likely ! lol

Blessings and respect, enjoy Jamaica.

Steve

6. Re: snakes in Jamaica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, September 11, 2009