We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jamaica may '08

wales
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
jamaica may '08

hi, we are going the riu negril may next year this will be our first visit to jamaica any info like what money do we take, do you get visa forms before you go or get them at the airport and how much, and any help you can offer would be great thanks.

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jamaica may '08

Hi, Our friend BuffaloSoldier is from the UK and is in Negril right now. Next week when she gets back I'm sure she'll answer your visa question.

In the mean time....here is an excellent info site for you from our BostonMel expert.

www.negrilinfo.com

L.E.
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: jamaica may '08

hi i living in ireland at the moment but as i know for most european people the entry requirements are not that different. for a 2/3 weeks holiday you dont need any visa, you will get forms to fill out while on the plane. thats about it. momeywise well if you stay in AI then i would say you may need another 600/700 pounds (2 weeks hols). i spent 900 euro doing all sorts of day trips, presents, extra drinks, we went out several times ...

(you are as early as i am with booking.... also booked my 3 month small drop out early)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jamaica may '08

Who you flying with?

My one top tip - is keep a couple of pens handy!!!!

You are supposed to get your immigration forms on the plane, but all the times i have been that has only ever happended once! - so you get given them when you get off the plane! - there is no aircon in arrivals so picture the scene 300 tourists all trying to find a pen while starting to sweat and the que's are getting longer!

When you get off the plane its a long walk to immigration - do not dordle, its too hot - walk as quick as possible, fill in your forms and get in the que! - you dont want to be standing in a long que! from there head downstairs and wait for your luggage! The porters take luggage off the conveyor belts and line them up - so be sure to check the luggage thats already off or you could make my mistake standing watching the belt fo ages when you luggage has been off for 20 mins. ooops!

Once outside find your bus jump on - sit back and enjoy the aircon! pure bliss!

Money i always take US$ easier to obtain in uk - best exchange rate is also at M&S currently at 1.97 - I brought some the other day in preperation for Xmas - knowing my luck they will be back down to 1.84 by then. - You usually get given change in JA$ but thats fine as both are used all over the country.

If your bringing home any Alcohol be sure to buy it at the MoBay Airport - you wont get it cheaper anywhere else! If your a smoker on teh way out buy your cigs on the plane - its about £22 for 200 and £25 for 400 - bargain on the way back they are that price in the airport and on the plane!

If your taking your moby and intend to call home - its expensive, if your gonna make a few calls my advice would be to get your mobile opended to all networks, and buy a digicel chip for about $400 Jamaican Dollars, then just top it up with $100 here and there - in two weeks including chip and credit it costs me about £7.00 instead of over £100 like it did the first time i ever went!

Shout if theres anything else i can help with!

wales
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: jamaica may '08

thank you thats some good advice i will remember we are i think travelling with thomson we booked with thomson call centre but they price matched portland, can anyone tell me what plug adapters we need for riu negril also how far is ricks cafe from this hotel.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jamaica may '08

Hi you need the 2 pin plugs, US style ones - cheapest in Boots i believe.

6. Re: jamaica may '08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, September 04, 2009