We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Hi all

I am due to visit Montego Bay in 10 days , we are all inclusive , but not sure how much money to take to do excursions or things from outside the hotel etc.

Do you take Jamaican dollars, as it's so low to the english pound i dont fancy having that much money, so can you advice me what you did , i/e use your credit card or debit card, or withdraw from ATM>

thank you any advice is very much appreciated.\

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
4 replies to this topic
Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
656 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

We usually take about $100 in small bills for tipping and odds and ends and use our credit card (we have one that doesn't charge for foreign transactions) for everything else. US$ not JA$ since we can use them on many other islands if we have any over. If you don't want to take US$ then take pounds and change to JA$ once in the country as you will get a better rate - but not at the airport!

West Midlands
Level Contributor
16 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

Thank you

My friends who have been recommended that we not to use our cards as most of them got cloned. So i think there is a card here in the UK you can put a money on up to a certain amount. Thanj you for your reply

United States
Level Contributor
12,907 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

"not sure how much money to take to do excursions"

It totally depends on which excursions you take and how many you take. Excursions run from about $us20 per person to about $us600 per person. I would guess that the average excursion is a bit over $us100 per person (but highly variable).

"things from outside the hotel"

What 'things' are you thinking about?

"Do you take Jamaican dollars,"

If you have some left over from your last trip to Jamaica then take them on the plane with you. If you have never been to Jamaica before then no, take Sterling with you on the plane.

"so can you advice me what you did"

I always pre-pay for as much as I can before I leave home. This includes excursions For what little I will need to pay for on the island I take cash (small bills). If there is some reason I need Jamaican dollars then I visit any bank or cambio in Jamaica (except the one at the airport which should be avoided) and convert my money.

"use your credit card or debit card"

Jamaica is a cash oriented country. Many merchants, mainly the smaller ones and those outside the tourist area, do not accept them. Credit card fraud is also common in Jamaica. I suggest using one only at your hotel as you leave for the airport to return home.

"withdraw from ATM"

ATMs at most hotels and at the airport are privately owned and are expensive to use so avoid if possible. If you need to use an ATM use one owned by a bank.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Jackson,NJ
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
11,064 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

We always use credit cards for excursions and take small bills for tipping .

Reply to: Money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;