We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

Miami, Florida
8 posts
Save Topic
First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

I'm playing travel agent and planning my first trip to Jamaica... I need help!

I LOVE Bob Marley with all my heart. This trip has always been inspired by him. I'm traveling solo dolo July 2018 for my bday, turning 30.

Let's get down to business...

The trip is merely 5 days and so far this is what I have (in no particular order):

1. Visiting Kingston of course for the Bob Marley Museum and a tour of the town.

2. I love the beach. I want to Scuba dive and/or go snorkeling however what beach should I go to because Negril is just too far??

3. Authentic Rastafari tours (but I get mixed reviews) Has anyone actually done one of these??

4.I really need a trustworthy taxi driver. I took some names and websites from prior posts but if you have someone good please share.

As far as where to stay I'm seriously lost... Has anyone experienced a resort in Kingston? Should I just do a Bed and breakfast? Should I stay in Negril, Mo Bay or some where else even though the travel is almost 5 hours to Kingston????

If you have good advice, referrals or tips plz help

10 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
13,409 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

"Has anyone experienced a resort in Kingston?"

Kingston is a place to go for business, banking, shipping, industry, government, etc. Kingston is not a resort town. Because of this there are fine business hotels but no hotels that I would call resorts (especially beach resorts).

"The trip is merely 5 days"

Because of the short time in Jamaica you should probably stay in one spot and take only one day trip to Kingston.

I would stay in Ocho Rios. This puts you on the beach where you can do water sports. Second, you are a bit under 2 hr., one way, to Kingston to take a trip to the museum/recording studio/adult home of Bob Marley. You are also fairly close to Nine Mile, the birth place/grave of Bob Marley. Third, there are also a goodly number of other attractions near Ocho Rios such as Dunn's River Falls.

Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

if this trip is inspired by Bob Marley staying in Kingston is a must

your plans for 5 days are simply impossible. If you want to go to Nine Mile then consider Ocho as suggested above, otherwise spend yur time in Port Antonio. With 5 days I would divide my time between Port Antonio and Kingston

Miami, Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

Thanks so much for your kind advice!

Miami, Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

Thanks for you sincere advice this helped me plan better.

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,459 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

Port Antonio would be my choice for beach/scuba days. Fly in and out of Kingston, perhaps spend the first or last night there to do the Marley things.

For #3 consider reaching out to Mokko. Very highly recommended guide and host by a couple I know. http://rastamokko.com/

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4038676

https:/…

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

Honestly, I'd rethink your plans. If I were you, I'd just stay in Portland. You'll find a much, much better "vibe" than you will in Kingston, and the beaches are great. Friendly locals, lush surroundings. I don't think you're going to get what you think you're going to get out of going to Kingston.

new york
Level Contributor
248 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

you need to go to Nine mile. It was very moving!

Miami, Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

Thanks for your advice everyone.I'll research where to stay in Port Antonio and Ocho. I definitely want to visit Nine Mile. I was able to realize and prioritize how I want to spend my time which is doing the most Marley things I can possibly do. A day trip to the beach would satisfy my soul (pun intended) but the rest of the days I want to squeeze in as much Bob as possible. For the night time, since Kingston is a business town I'm sure there are some nice restaurants to visit.

Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

Beaches around Kingston: Hellshire Beach (easy reachable with public transport) or Lime Cay.

Kingston has great nighlife dont miss it, its mostly dancehall now though but theres stil some Dub or roots reggae nights!

more Bob: hire a driver to drive you through Trench Town (Kingston) or join a tour of Culture Yard in Trench Town, where Marley spent his teenage years ...

Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio, Treasure Beach
Level Contributor
13,459 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???

Do you scuba dive? I know divers go out from Y KNot on the Palisadoes, out by Port Royal and the airport. I can get more info if you think you'll stay in the city.

Sunday night dub club in the hills just outside Kingston is a terrific option for reggae and all kinds of music.

Near Hellshire there are also Fort Clarence and Boardwalk beaches, a bit quieter-cleaner possibly less interesting :) If you are willing to drive (or bus) an hour or so east of Kingston Lyssons has a beautiful golden sand beach too, with a reasonable hotel on it (but you don't have to stay there to use that beach).

Reply to: First time to Jamaica... Shld I stay in Kingston???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted