We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

Has anyone done this recently?

My husband and I are interested in making this trip but I cannot get the Caribe tours website to function properly.

Here is what I need to know. Hopefully someone can answer asap

1. in relation to the santiago airport, where is the bus station for caribe tours?

2. address?? ( or is this just too much lol)

3. how long did it take from santiago to Cap haitien?

4. any stops after the haitian border but before cap?

5. how much was it?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
667 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

I can't answer all the questions you have, but the bus is cheap and fairly comfortable. No - the web site has never worked, but getting a seat never seems to be a problem.

I will suggest you go over to DR1 and search the forums there - this is a common set of questions - search here also, actually. If the reply is about a year old, it is still good - things don't change that often.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
92 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

The Caribe Tours bus station in Santiago is the Las Colinas one. Any taxi driver will know it. Don't go to the other one (Jardins) as the Haiti bound bus doesn't stop there. When I used it, I did not need reservations and the one bus a day to Cap left at noon from Santiago. It starts off in Santo Domingo. You buy your ticket in the office at the back, not at the teller windows. They take your passport. If I remember correctly, the fare was $50 US and that included all border fees (one way). The bus doesn't normally make stops till Cap except at the border. Although they will drop you off in Dajabon if you want, which they did when I came back from Cap. If you want to get off somewhere else and have your bag with you, I think they will agree to let you off.

The border is time consuming and I didn't arrive in Cap till early evening. (A few taxis are waiting.) The bus won't leave till everyone clears immigration, and there is always someone without proper documents. Caribe passes out a box lunch, included in the fare.

The advantage to using this bus, besides it being comfortable, would be they take care of the border formalities for you. Going to Haiti, I didn't even have to get off the bus. Coming back, I just had to get off to point to my bag on the Dominican side. Once pointing it out (I had it on me) the inspector was satisfied I was "OK" and no further inspection was done. You can also change money while you wait at the border from street guys, but at poor rates when I asked.

Cap Haitien is beautiful and I am glad you are thinking of visiting.

Edited: 10:08 am, July 02, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

The ride from Santiago to Cap Haitien is about 4.5 hours. 3.5 hours to the border (Dijabon on the DR side and Ouanaminthe on the Haiti side) Caribe Tours doesn't make any stops but there are a few smaller coaches (also very comfortable) that go to Dijabon that do make stops along the way. If you take one of these you can get yourself through Immigration without much trouble (if you're not easily rattled) and walk across the border from there. If you are meeting someone in Haiti they can pick up up from there, or you can call a good taxi, I use Hubert at 509-3641-9550. He grew up in the US so he speaks great English as well as Creole. Highly reliable. Good luck.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

Man thanks so much for answering. My husband's family lives in ft liberte and they are gonna pick us up in CAP.

I was just worried about getting to the bus in DR. That website needs to come down. Like why is it even there? I'm feeling more comfortable with you guys answering.

I thought getting the CT BUS woulda been a pain. My flight lands in DR at 9:12 am. I hope this is enough time to get to las colinas and get the bus to Haiti.

Anyone know how far las colinas is from the airport??

Thx to you all for responding!

Happy travels

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

Man thanks so much for answering. My husband's family lives in ft liberte and they are gonna pick us up in CAP.

I was just worried about getting to the bus in DR. That website needs to come down. Like why is it even there? I'm feeling more comfortable with you guys answering.

I thought getting the CT BUS woulda been a pain. My flight lands in DR at 9:12 am. I hope this is enough time to get to las colinas and get the bus to Haiti.

Anyone know how far las colinas is from the airport??

Happy travels

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

Hey do u know if I could get off the caribe tour bus AT the border and just cross on my own?

Happy travels

Minnesota
Level Contributor
667 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

not sure why you would want to do that - it can be extremely chaotic, and it will likely cost you more trying to negotiate the border fees, etc., but you certainly can ask for your passport back and get out of the bus.

Erlangen, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

Does anyone know if the taxes and customs fees are included in the Caribe Tours tickets?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
667 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

yes, as I understand it they are (taxes). What customs fees? Are you planning on importing something you need to declare? They would not include that in a ticket price.

Erlangen, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santiago DR to Cap Haitien Via Caribe tours Bus

The lady at Caribe Tours in Santo Domingo charged me about $75 for a round trip ticket and said it would cost about $20 USD+ 200 Dominican pesos for an immigration card when I got to the Haitian border, and then about $26 USD+ 200 Dominican pesos on the way back from immigration. I thought the entry and exit fees were included in the ticket like everyone was saying, but she kept telling me I would have to pay extra for the "taxes and fees."