We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Guadaloupe from the UK

2 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Guadaloupe from the UK

Can anyone help? My husband and I are seriously considering moving to Guadaloupe from the UK, we are both UK Citizens and have been since birth. I am 63 and my husband is 65. I would be grateful for any information relating to the cost of living, house prices, visa etc etc etc

I know that the islands are in the hurricane zone and I wonder how many times they have been hit by them?

Thank you. Joyce

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Guadaloupe from the UK

No need for a visa, Guadeloupe is part of the EU (France) so it falls under the freedom of movement umbrella.

Mentioned in this post
Guadeloupe
Guadeloupe
Caribbean
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Guadaloupe from the UK

That's great, better go and have a look at the place then!

Do you have any info on the cost of living and house prices there too?

Thank you very much

London, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Guadaloupe from the UK

The cost of living is higher than in mainland Europe because all products are imported. That includes electronics, toiletries, food, furniture - everything. Most land is used to grow bananas and sugar cane since 'agriculteurs' benefit from French state subsidisation. This is why a Frenh carrot will cost less thhan a Guadeloupean carrot in Leader Price. In 2009 there were protests about 'La vie chere'.

You need to speak French, hardly anybody speaks English. As for renting, well if you rent a place on a little island off the mainland like La Desirade you could find a nice place for 400 euros a month but plan on double that for the mainland. Or more depending on the size. You can get an idea of rental and sales prices on Le Bon Coin website and on the Paru Vendu website. Let us know what you end up doing!

Mentioned in this post
La Desirade
La Desirade
125 Reviews
Guadeloupe
4. Re: Moving to Guadaloupe from the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 22, 2015