We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best caribbean island?

New York
4 posts
Save Topic
Best caribbean island?

My wife and I (middle aged) are looking for a clean, safe Caribbean island where there are beautiful beaches, snorkeling and many other interesting activites outside of just sunbathing. Is Guadeloupe the place? Thanks for your answers

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,610 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best caribbean island?

Hi there,

In our limited opinion: yes. With a lovely trekking/nature activities scenery also.

Two main limitations:

* The areas for good snorkel/swim are different from the nightlife areas. The latter are on the Atlantic coast (Gosier/St. Anne area) which has nice beaches but not good swimming, the nice underwater areas are on the much more quiet Caribbean Coast (Pte. Noire, Deshaies).

* You need to be willing to try and speak a few words of French, with a phrasebook. For the rest English will do for the normal touristy dealings.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

New York
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best caribbean island?

Thank you for your reply. Recently we heard Dengue fever can be a problem on Guadeloupe. What is your experience?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
720 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best caribbean island?

I agree with Erik and Sandya. Guadeloupe is unique in that it is really two islands (Grande Terre and Basse Terre) with very different personalities. You should get a good guidebook (Ulysses has an excellent one) and read up to see what part of Guadeloupe you'd prefer. Guadeloupe is not on the radar of most Americans - - though, in my opinion, it is one of the best Caribbean destinations.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,610 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best caribbean island?

Dengue is a 'problem' in most of the Caribbean islands, esp. if they have larger towns. The mozzies breed in the kind of still water caused by civilisation, like empty jerrycans or 'used' coconuts.

We've never anywhere in the world found it to be a real problem for tourists, as they

a) Lodge in accomodation with good mozzie protection; AC is almost standard in Caribbean (and chases away mozzies) and otherwise you have fan and some level of mozzie protection like a net and electric coil

b) Use anti-mozzie cream with DEET anyhow also for other types of mosquitos

It's mainly a problem for the locals that cannot afford AC or coils and are not used or again cannot afford the cream, too bad...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

New York
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best caribbean island?

Again, thank you so much for your prompt and thoughtful reply.

Guadeloupe
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best caribbean island?

Hi,

Thank you for your comment on Guadeloupe. I wish I knew why Americans do not visit us.Hopefully, Seafreed36 and his wife will give us a try. Americans people are very welcome!

7. Re: Best caribbean island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:22 am, June 12, 2013