We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will it be what we expect?

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Will it be what we expect?

We are a late 30's couple from the northwest part of the states that are planning a 2 week Caribbean vacation for the end of Feb. After researching numerous islands we feel Guadeloupe has what we are looking for.

1) beautiful beaches

2) lush tropical jungles

3) an colorful island culture

4) its not a major tourist island

5) markets to buy fresh fish fruit and vegies

6) restaurants and bars with locals that welcome outsiders

7) plenty of out door activities

8) and if we arrive in time a great carnival celebration

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,819 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will it be what we expect?

Hi there,

Well yes mostly. For 6) it helps a lot if you try and speak SOME French, the

'typical Yank or Brit' would still feel an outsider.

The major tourist scene is Gosier/St.-Anne, if you avoid that area for e.g. Deshaies or Pointe-Noire which both also have a more swimmable sea you'd have all you need.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will it be what we expect?

I had the great fortune to live and work in Guadeloupe for a year and managed to travel to most of the other islands during my year there, and I LOVED Guadeloupe. My answer to all your questions above is YES. Do make a point of speaking French though, as you will have a much better time.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,452 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will it be what we expect?

Hi, I have only ever been to St Lucia but I love the idea of Guadeloupe, less touristy than Martinique but French? I speak some French and Lucian Creole and love scuba diving. Looking for a small hotel or small villa and good access to scuba diving. Any advice gratefully received! Looking for 2013.... thanks!

PS not "typical Brits"!!

Edited: 5:20 pm, December 16, 2011
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
754 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will it be what we expect?

I concur with ErikdR's suggestion to stay in/near Deshaies/Pointe-Noire. In those communities, the original community is likely to find just what he/she is looking for.

5. Re: Will it be what we expect?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, January 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Guadeloupe