We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling/diving compared to Virgin Islands?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling/diving compared to Virgin Islands?

We have never been to Grenada but have been many times to the USVI and BVI where the water is clear and beautiful aqua colored, calm and good diving/snorkeling. Has anyone been to the Virgins and to Grenada? How would you compare the sea life and the water?? We'd like to try something different, but always in the past we have ended up going back to the Virgins. Grenada, however, looks enticing with all the natural beauty.

Many thanks!

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling/diving compared to Virgin Islands?

Its similar diving, the best places are remote from the touristy SW, generally there are great reefs and wrecks, but the island itself is a lot more tropical lush and generally more interesting. Plenty of dive operators.

The water is a very stable mid / high 20's degrees down to 20m or so, clarity is good, but depends on recent rainfall runoff and how near you are to a big tall island. I use a 3mm equivalent thermocline suit. Much better than neoprene imho.

Just visit the local fish market or see the billfish competitions, record tuna and marlin, great reef fish, a few turtles (not in the market of course, but occasionally seen diving), i never see them myself but my favourite dive master always sees seahorses (and then points them out to me and larer asks why im so blind...)

I only dived a couple of times in st thomas, and also round grand turk.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling/diving compared to Virgin Islands?

Thanks a lot, Bob. I snorkel but don't dive. My husband and son dive and they love St. John and the British Virgins as the water is so calm and clear, especially in the summer months. No runoff as there are no rivers or lakes, so that could make a difference. The Caymans are also great, but we were thinking about something different with more interesting stuff to do but still good diving. Grenada may be a possibility.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling/diving compared to Virgin Islands?

I don't dive but I am an avid snorkeler and will stay out for hours at a time. As much as I love Grenada, I do not go there to get my snorkeling fix as it is below average at best in my opinion (snorkeling from shore which is what I like to do, I am not much for having to take a boat each time I want to snorkel). The water clarity is not the same as St. John USVI, Cayman, Turks & Caicos, Bahamas Out islands, or Cozumel, which I have been to, IMO. The closest to that water clarity is in the Tobago Cays which you can take a daytrip from Grenada.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling/diving compared to Virgin Islands?

Thanks Pigsterz! We've been to the places you mention except Turks & Caicos and Bahama's out islands. We prefer the mountainous islands and lush vegetation, but the guys also love the fish. So we'll see. This helps a lot. It's always good to know what to expect. :)

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling/diving compared to Virgin Islands?

If you like snorkelling, you should really visit the maldives one day, its absolutely fantastic for very shallow fish encounters. I will always remember my little girls playing with baby white tip sharks in about a foot of water off baros island, or being tickled / nibbled by doctor fish sitting on the waters edge on olhuveli.

The sharks were about 2-3.feet long but werent aggresive, except at dusk where we watched them chasing small crabs off the beach.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling/diving compared to Virgin Islands?

Maldives is on my bucket list. A little more complicated to get to from the US, but someday I will get there.

I just got back from the Exumas where we took a day trip to the Exuma Cays. At Compass Cay and Staniel Cay there are nurse sharks that come up to the dock for their handout. I was able to pet them and if I had remembered to bring my snorkel I would have gone swimming with them. Super cool. Also swam with the swimming pigs which was on my bucket list and that was the highlight.

Grenada
Destination Expert
for Grenada
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling/diving compared to Virgin Islands?

I saw those pigs on tv here :-)

Theres one other area nearer your home. South of cancun, there are a number of cenotes - huge hollowed out chambers connected to underground caves carrying freshwater rivers to the sea. Where they reach the sea, the very rich fresh water mixes slowly with the seawater in a couple of bays. You get very very rich sealife in those bays, and the water thermoclines, you get a river of cold freshwater next to a river of warmer saltwater, and they dont mix, so you can see the line and swim in the join, quite strange.

Xcaret is the nature park to see it all easily.

8. Re: Snorkeling/diving compared to Virgin Islands?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:28 am, March 15, 2015
Get answers to your questions about St. George's