We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Grenada and Driving Docs

Which St. George's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Daventry
5 posts
Save Topic
Car rental in Grenada and Driving Docs

Going to Grenada in a couple fo weeks and may want to rent a car for a day or so while there. Can anyone advise whether its best to arrange car hire from the UK or wait until we get out there. Also am I right in thinking that they drive on the left out there. Can anyone also advise on what documents will need to be produced to hire a vehicle out there ie driving licence, passport etc.

London,UK
Level Contributor
164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Grenada and Driving Docs

I would arrange everything by email before you arrive to be on the safe side and to check availability.

Coming from the UK you need your photocard licence AND and the paper part of the licence,to prove you have no penalties and you are not under a ban.

Grenadians drive on the left so no worries there.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Grenada and Driving Docs

If you don't want to book in advance because you may choose not to have a car, its easy to get your hotel or travel rep to sort one out.

I wasn't asked for my paper part of my licence(never have anywhere) but always take it just in case.

Driving is easy enough, though the lack of signposts and poor road maps make it interesting to find your way around. You can't get lost for long though, and the locals will always point you in the right direction.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Grenada and Driving Docs

It's the low season, so you shouldn't have a problem getting a rental car once you are on the island.

Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Grenada and Driving Docs

We are going over Christmas Break. I know some things are with in walking distance but we'd probably like to get out and explore some on our own. Would it be advisable to pre-book a car or can we still wait til we get there and handle it if & when we dicide to?

Daventry
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Grenada and Driving Docs

Thanks to everyone for the tips on this thread. Only 7 sleeps left now and I am so looking forward to it.

The Caribbean
Level Contributor
49 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Grenada and Driving Docs

Queezi, there aren't very many rental car companies and the island does get quite busy in late October and Novemeber, and of course December.

It is advisable to pre-book. I can personally recommend Vista Car Rentals. Their fleet is new....no more than a year or so old and they are extremely reliable.

Regarding things being in walking distance, it depends on where you are staying. But even if you are in the heart of shops and so on, it is always a great idea to rent a car because the island is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO beautiful and interesting and the people are wonderful.

So email vista. I just googled their website. It's http://www.vistarentalsgnd.com/

Have fun....and do a trip report.

7. Re: Car rental in Grenada and Driving Docs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 18, 2012
Get answers to your questions about St. George's